Change come hard in the cycling community

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow horse

... and increase your sex appeal!

Guys, you KNOW it makes sense - buy disc brakes. Call now on 0800-BIG-BRAKES, and have that credit card ready! :okay:
I called that number with my credit card ready and a very sexy voice cried DON'T STOP DON'T STOP, which sends a mixed message if you ask me.

Alex321

Guru
People say that, and I confess I've only used hydraulic brakes on my motorbike, but surely press harder and you can lock the wheels, but press less hard and they don't lock. Same with any system. I'd assumed hydraulics just let you brake harder with less force, plus the benefit of being self adjustic

The point is that needing less force means you have more control. The closer you are to clamping your hands as tight as you can, the harder it uis to ease off just a little bit.

Alex321

Guru
What little weigh penalty there is with disc brakes, is pretty much made up with lighter rims. Rims on disc brake bikes can be lighter, stronger, and more aero. Also for every ounce taken off the rims is worth 2 on the frame.

That isn't relly true. Lighter rims may make up for the additional weight in the callipers, but then you also have additional weight in the forks, because putting the braking point near the hub but a lot more leverage on the forks, so they need to be built stronger.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
Change will always be viewed differently depending on who you ask. For me, I don’t think I would ever trust a carbon bike and I find the continual push to carbon sad.

The point is that needing less force means you have more control. The closer you are to clamping your hands as tight as you can, the harder it uis to ease off just a little bit.

I think that's speculation. ( and my hunch is that more movement-per-change-in force gives better control.)

Think about moving a mouse - a VERY light touch is required, but that doesn't always translate to precise control.

I might be wrong, and I'm sure scientists (especially those involved with mobility aids?) have looked into this!

Top Bottom