Chain Rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How many of you rotate through multiple chains?

I generally don't bother with the cheap/second hand bikes.
I rotate through 4 chains on the best bike, which get swapped out every 200-300km or so. Mainly because it makes chain waxing easier to manage.

The second best bike - on which I'm running wet lube - I've already procured a second chain for it. I'm thinking of swapping chains out every 600-800km. Perhaps a bit more frequently over the winter months. May stop at 3 chains. May be do 4 chains. Depends on the comments?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nope. Really can't be arsed. My commute/Tourer's chain (and cassette) gets changed once a year (approx 5-6000 miles, usually at the beginning of the nice weather.
My leisure bike it gets changed when I can be bothered or its too slack on the chainset.

EckyH

Mainly because it makes chain waxing easier to manage.
That's the reason for why I'm at the beginning of a chain management.
At first I thought: "Fortunately the bikes have only five different chain types - 1/8" singles speed, 1/32" single speed, 8speed, 9speed and 10speed".
Then I realised that at least the single speed and the 9speed chains have different lengths. The next idea is to put a metal tag on each chain for which bike it is when they are in the "to wax" and "waxed" boxes. Context for that is: to save energy I hotwax batches of chains.

E.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only do it on my FS MTB - but not been using it much recently. Tended to swap round after a big ride (i.e. filthy), but not done so.

Commuter get's changed annually - chain cassette and large chainring.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At first I thought: "Fortunately the bikes have only five different chain types - 1/8" singles speed, 1/32" single speed, 8speed, 9speed and 10speed".
Then I realised that at least the single speed and the 9speed chains have different lengths. The next idea is to put a metal tag on each chain for which bike it is when they are in the "to wax" and "waxed" boxes. Context for that is: to save energy I hotwax batches of chains.

E.

Too much faff.

... Mainly because it makes chain waxing easier to manage.

The second best bike - on which I'm running wet lube - I've already procured a second chain for it. I'm thinking of swapping chains out every 600-800km. ...
[my bold]
on the LEL facebook thingy - in a lube discussion - some guy said he took a spare waxed chain with him while riding AllPoinstNorth (Yorkshire-based? 1000k-ish? Dunno)

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

E.

I put the freshly waxed chains in one sealed sealed freezer bag and the dirty ones in another sealed freezer bag. No reason the freezer bag couldn't be labelled with a marker pen?

[my bold]
on the LEL facebook thingy - in a lube discussion - some guy said he took a spare waxed chain with him while riding AllPoinstNorth (Yorkshire-based? 1000k-ish? Dunno)

200-300 k between rotating waxed chains for no other reason because that's when the Lubricant's effectiveness starts to more rapidly drop off. And I have a batch of four for the same reason as @EckyH ; it means having a chain waxing session every four months.

The second best bike being cheaper and less optimised, seeing more bad weather and not generally used to try and hang on the back of a fast club run etc.. means I can't quite be bothered dealing with waxed chains for it. The oft repeated wisdom 10 years ago was to move onto the next chain in rotation every 1000 miles.

What I'm really wondering, is if there is any benefit to doing it more frequently than that.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I currently rotate chains on only the Brompton because it sees by far the most use.

This wasn't necessarily originally my intention however I bought a second chain for its corrosion resistant properties but found this proved largely irrelvant so just started rotating the two. The modest amount of light surface corrosion encountered with a waxed chain in the wet is neither here nor there in any meaningful sense - either practically or aesthetically; while the corrosion only occurs on wear surfaces so any original anti-corrosion coating gets worn off pretty rapidly in any case.

I rotate for convenience - using the bike multiple, long days consecutively means it's handy to be able to just swap the chain to a fresh one and wax the other at my convenience. It also means I can wax two chains at a time (either both from the Brompton or one of the two along with one from another bike when that needs doing) minimising the time and energy costs.

Waxed spare chains are kept in labelled bags; the bag and chain going loose into a "to be waxed" bag to await the next waxing once removed from the bike.

As I think has been touched on in the past rotating should also prolong the lifespan of the rest of the drivetrain; since elongated chains wear teeth at a faster rate. So in theory running two chains in rotation until they reach their wear limit should cause less wear to the chainring and cassette than running one chain to it's limit, then doing the same with a replacement.

I've considered adding more chains into the mix however have so far resisted on this bike as each has a projected lifespan of around 5k miles at 0.5% wear, while the bike is on about 3.5k miles so the chains have around 6.5k miles / two years left between them at the current rate and I hope to move at some point which will take this bike out of regular service. If life sorts itself out I'd hope that the current chains might last for the remainder of my time using the bike..

I don't currently do enough distance on my other bikes to bother sourcing another chain for rotation. Hopefully if I ever move I'll be using one / more of the other bikes more so it might make more sense then.

Ultimately rotation is good but has practical limits. Generally the more the better; however there's little point dying of old age with 100 very slightly used, near-pristine chains to your name.

Also while I'm all for prolonging everythings' life there becomes a point where this is also less relevant; for example after about 4.5k miles the waxed 11sp chain on my Genesis is suggesting a lifespan of something ridiculous like 50k miles. Assume that the cassette and other bits will require replacement after three chains and that makes it highly likely that I'll never have to replace any other drivetrain components in my lifetime with the one chain; let alone rotating multiple.

I do have three chains for the Genesis after buying some at what seemed a good price at the time, however two remain waxed and unused; partially because I'm curious to see how long the original actually lasts.

Not sure I'd bother rotating a conventionally lubed chain (partially because of the mess) however I suppose it could serve as an appropriate point to give one a deep clean. That said I'd rather just wax everything... with multiple chains making it a bit easier to deal with the only downside of waxing - when a chain get wet and starts to squeak.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nope. Really can't be arsed. My commute/Tourer's chain (and cassette) gets changed once a year (approx 5-6000 miles, usually at the beginning of the nice weather.
My leisure bike it gets changed when I can be bothered or its too slack on the chainset.

This ↑↑↑↑
One chain, one cassette. Use until worn (starts skipping), then change both. Used to get around 4,500 to 5,000 miles on the all weather commuter, much longer on dry use bikes.

Top Bottom