Scotland : Dumfries & Galloway CC Ecosse Langholm Border Raid 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...

Thanks for these :thumbsup: ...
Is the bit next to the motorway north of Carlisle on routes 1 and 3 similar to the old road parallel to the the motorway between Lockerbie and Johnstonebridge? I've ridden that a few times, and the noise of the lorries etc zooming past so closely did my head in :blush:. I kept looking round for traffic coming up from behind that wasn't there :wacko: (the parallel old road was actually quite quiet apart from being the access route to the truck stop/cafe) ... and I was SOOO glad when we got away from it ... :dance:Is there an alternative/slight detour you can recommend that doesn't go too much round the houses? :girl:

T

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yes, it would be similar to that. That's the quickest way to get onto the Scottish side of the route though, and the only way of cycling to Gretna without a big detour :sad: . The only other viable way is to go up the English side, which takes longer, unless you ride up the A7 (don't wanna do that). I'll have a try of another one, the problem is that there are a couple of rivers on the English side that only have 1 crossing point on each, which doesn't help.

Or you can go Carlisle - Newcastleton - Langholm - Carlisle, which I've done myself and it's 68 miles ;) I loved it though!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thanks for these :thumbsup: ...
Is the bit next to the motorway north of Carlisle on routes 1 and 3 similar to the old road parallel to the the motorway between Lockerbie and Johnstonebridge? I've ridden that a few times, and the noise of the lorries etc zooming past so closely did my head in :blush:. I kept looking round for traffic coming up from behind that wasn't there :wacko: (the parallel old road was actually quite quiet apart from being the access route to the truck stop/cafe) ... and I was SOOO glad when we got away from it ... :dance:Is there an alternative/slight detour you can recommend that doesn't go too much round the houses? :girl:

T

Nah it's nowhere near them honest - just look :biggrin:
5564110710.jpg

Top Bottom