Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran CC Arran Cycle - Sat 6th July 2013

Which Route will you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Thanks George... I think my main concern is the reference to wrinkled paint between the top and down tube indicating frame damage, as I seem to recall that was the case with my bike (this appeared to be separate from the slightly lumpy looking weld, which is typical of all the welds on the bike). I haven't been able to call Decathlon today, but I can't take it in until next week anyway - though I suspect their guarantee might not cover this?! I was thinking about taking it to Magic Cycles at Bowling as the guy there helped me with a flat tyre when I passed the other week and it's local to my parent's place, where I'll be next Monday after the wedding this weekend in Skye.

I was planning on doing a loop of the north part of the Island while I was there but I think that might not go down too well and tbh I'm a little apprehensive about the whole thing myself now. I know I should just get back on the horse, so to speak, but I guess some nerves are to be expected?!

It's to be expected that you would be apprehensive, anyone would after a crash and certainly at that speed - don't put any expectations on yourself, just aim to get the bike fixed and build your confidence slowly back up, no doubt you'll be itching to get back out again soon! And as @Louch says, if you need company there are plenty of us here willing to help.

Well, I went to visit my folks tonight who are now back from Arran and I think the bike's frame might be damaged in two places... Where the top and bottom tube meet the down tube I can feel lumps on the undersides, with wrinkling to the paint on the top. I don't know if the lumps are typical of the Triban 3 build quality or if this is evidence of bending/stress to the tubes? @jazloc @Fubar (also the rear wheel seems to be buckled slightly, though I was always going to have to replace them both anyway!)

D

Deleted member 20519

Well, I went to visit my folks tonight who are now back from Arran and I think the bike's frame might be damaged in two places... Where the top and bottom tube meet the down tube I can feel lumps on the undersides, with wrinkling to the paint on the top. I don't know if the lumps are typical of the Triban 3 build quality or if this is evidence of bending/stress to the tubes? @jazloc @Fubar (also the rear wheel seems to be buckled slightly, though I was always going to have to replace them both anyway!)

As Louch said, pics would be great. The welds are bumpy if that's what you mean.

Fubar

Guru

Aside from the welds I've not noticed any lumps or bumps, will check mine over tonight just to be sure though and let you know. An impact at that speed I would have suspected damage to the frame, especially considering the state of your front wheel. Might not be terminal but without an x-ray you'll probably never know.

Fubar

Guru
Just a thought, is you work in the bike to work scheme? Might be a way to get a new bike without having to pay money up front.

Fubar

Guru
Wish my work did, would give me reason to get my Orbea:wub:

It is limited to £1k so you've got no chance!

Top Bottom