Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran CC Arran Cycle - Sat 6th July 2013

Which Route will you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Glad you're doing OK Ross, that's the most important thing. :smile:

Video number 1 is done and I'm working on a second one.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4u9lLBFZ3s&feature=youtu.be

Picks up bike, puts in car, drives to ardrodsan fir tomorrow's 7am ferry......

Hmm, not sure tbh jazloc, looking at the guarantee it says:

No impacts: the product must show no signs of damage due to abnormal conditions of use (Is having an accident and falling off 'abnormal' use or just unlucky?)

Damage resulting from... use not in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations (it does say to 'control your speed and avoid moving from side to side' but I'm not sure if they would ask how fast I was going and how would they define 'too fast'. It doesn't specify whether accidental/crash damage of any kind is covered, other than damage involving a third party isn't included. The only recommendations they really make are not to ride in sand, water or in a salty environment, and general safety advice about lights, helmets etc...so again not sure if it covers my incident)

I just called them up as it says on their website they are open until 9pm (Unfortunately the guy I spoke to couldn't really help. he asked about the damage but just said to call back when the people who work in the 'workshop' are in, between 10am - 7pm or to bring it in and show them the damage, which I can't do until next week anyway)

Fubar

Guru
I've written a wee review in the travelogues section, hope you enjoy!

GBC

Veteran
Yeah, I'm feeling it today... just cuts, bruises and a sore head, but mostly 'okay'. Still not entirely sure what happened, I think the wind blew me towards the left of the road and then I couldn't steer away from the ditch. All I know for certain is I was very lucky! Thanks for your help after the crash, I wasn't quite all there at the time and I know my folks appreciated it too!

Hopefully I'll be there next time, once I've got the bike sorted! ^_^

I had a wee rake around on the interweb Ross, as I'm sure you have, and saw this possibly reassuring article at http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/4685/how-can-i-tell-a-bike-is-safe-after-a-crash

"Look down your head tube and how the forks meet up. Are they parallel to the head-tube like they used to be? Is the steering more twitchy? If so then the fork could be pranged, but not necessarily, the frame could have bent instead. Examine where the top tube and down tube join the head tube - are there any bulges underneath or paint that is flaking off/wrinkled? If this is the case you have a damaged frame, damaged but not necessarily unsafe, aluminium does not catastrophically fatigue after being bent once and, although a different shape, may not be any weaker. I have ridden front-stacked frames for a long time after the incident and even preferred the added twitchy-ness."

There's quite a lot of other stuff as well, but nothing particularly definitive.......best bet will probably be getting advice from a reputable bike mechanic.

I'm sure you know all that already, but it's really quiet at work today:smile:

I had a wee rake around on the interweb Ross, as I'm sure you have, and saw this possibly reassuring article at http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/4685/how-can-i-tell-a-bike-is-safe-after-a-crash

"Look down your head tube and how the forks meet up. Are they parallel to the head-tube like they used to be? Is the steering more twitchy? If so then the fork could be pranged, but not necessarily, the frame could have bent instead. Examine where the top tube and down tube join the head tube - are there any bulges underneath or paint that is flaking off/wrinkled? If this is the case you have a damaged frame, damaged but not necessarily unsafe, aluminium does not catastrophically fatigue after being bent once and, although a different shape, may not be any weaker. I have ridden front-stacked frames for a long time after the incident and even preferred the added twitchy-ness."

There's quite a lot of other stuff as well, but nothing particularly definitive.......best bet will probably be getting advice from a reputable bike mechanic.

Thanks George... I think my main concern is the reference to wrinkled paint between the top and down tube indicating frame damage, as I seem to recall that was the case with my bike (this appeared to be separate from the slightly lumpy looking weld, which is typical of all the welds on the bike). I haven't been able to call Decathlon today, but I can't take it in until next week anyway - though I suspect their guarantee might not cover this?! I was thinking about taking it to Magic Cycles at Bowling as the guy there helped me with a flat tyre when I passed the other week and it's local to my parent's place, where I'll be next Monday after the wedding this weekend in Skye.

I was planning on doing a loop of the north part of the Island while I was there but I think that might not go down too well and tbh I'm a little apprehensive about the whole thing myself now. I know I should just get back on the horse, so to speak, but I guess some nerves are to be expected?!

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Thanks George... I think my main concern is the reference to wrinkled paint between the top and down tube indicating frame damage, as I seem to recall that was the case with my bike (this appeared to be separate from the slightly lumpy looking weld, which is typical of all the welds on the bike). I haven't been able to call Decathlon today, but I can't take it in until next week anyway - though I suspect their guarantee might not cover this?! I was thinking about taking it to Magic Cycles at Bowling as the guy there helped me with a flat tyre when I passed the other week and it's local to my parent's place, where I'll be next Monday after the wedding this weekend in Skye.

I was planning on doing a loop of the north part of the Island while I was there but I think that might not go down too well and tbh I'm a little apprehensive about the whole thing myself now. I know I should just get back on the horse, so to speak, but I guess some nerves are to be expected?!
When u have bike ready, shout up and you will have company to come out and get you going if you need it.

D

Deleted member 20519

I'd get them properly inspected at a local bike shop, you can't take the risk with carbon forks.

Top Bottom