Cavendish – *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Don't get me wrong, I'm one of Cav's biggest fans .... he is an absolute sporting hero of mine .... but I came across the Stele Eddy Merckx near Stavelot yesterday, and his palmares knocked Cav's out of the water. When you read the plaque of his achievements, it doesn't even bother to mention TdF stage victories, just overall wins. Come to think of it, it doesn't mention his 1973 Vuelta win either. That just comes under "etc"!
View attachment 736923

I don’t think anyone would disagree with you.
Also see how many years it took them both to achieve their wins.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
In Merckx's case, from 1961 to 1965 as an amateur, then 1966, until he retired in 1978, although his last professional win was I believe in 1977.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm surprised there's not something similar to the helmet thread rule to stop every thread in here becoming a doping thread.
I suggest that noting Merckx's multiple failed tests, as well as his many triumphs, is a matter of record rather than a mere allegation.
It was Fausto Coppi who said, bitd, riders on the tour took drugs only when necessary. Asked "When would it be necessary?" he answered "Almost always."

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I suggest that noting Merckx's multiple failed tests, as well as his many triumphs, is a matter of record rather than a mere allegation.
It was Fausto Coppi who said, bitd, riders on the tour took drugs only when necessary. Asked "When would it be necessary?" he answered "Almost always."

Another of Coppi's quotes was, " You cannot ride the Giro D'Italia on pasta alone"

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of Cav's biggest fans .... he is an absolute sporting hero of mine .... but I came across the Stele Eddy Merckx near Stavelot yesterday, and his palmares knocked Cav's out of the water. When you read the plaque of his achievements, it doesn't even bother to mention TdF stage victories, just overall wins. Come to think of it, it doesn't mention his 1973 Vuelta win either. That just comes under "etc"!
Well I for one am shocked.

(Do we think I'm too late to get a refund on our Cav statue? :sad: )

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was more focused on his tdf stage wins. All 34 came between 69 and 75.

And Merckx didn't enter in 1973. So those 34 came in just 6 tours. An average of 5.7 per tour. 8 wins in both 1970 and 1974. In fact Merckx was averaging 6.4 wins per tour between 69 and 74. Pretty mind-boggling. He let his average drop with a mere 2 wins in 75.

It's taken Cav 15 tours (including the current one), but he did average 5 wins per tour in the four tours 2008 - 2011. So not too shabby.

Last edited:
You can;t really compare him to Merckx directly - as some commentators love to do

They are totally different types of rider - Merckx would easily beat Cav on a mountain - Cav would win in a one-on-one sprint

but the numbers are a thing and a great achievement

just the longevity at or near the top is a major achievement!

hope he gets one more though

Top Bottom