Broken Toe, Would you or wouldn't you, go to A and E? (5 hour wait)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The last time I went to A&E they thought I was a druggie working a scam. I was cycling back from the gym when somebody knocked me off my bike. I was wearing jogging bottoms and a fleece and I've got close cropped hair.

I had to make my own way there (or wait several hours for an ambulance) and then I had to wait nearly two hours for an X-ray. They told me that nothing was broken and to go home and put a bag of frozen peas on my knee. By the time I got home my knee had already doubled in size. I could hardly walk for the next two weeks.

@Kingfisher101, if you broke your toe a month ago then it will already have started to heal. If it's misalligned then they will have to break it again to realign it. Just keep taking the pain killers.

screenman

Legendary Member
The last time I went to A&E they thought I was a druggie working a scam. I was cycling back from the gym when somebody knocked me off my bike. I was wearing jogging bottoms and a fleece and I've got close cropped hair.

I had to make my own way there (or wait several hours for an ambulance) and then I had to wait nearly two hours for an X-ray. They told me that nothing was broken and to go home and put a bag of frozen peas on my knee. By the time I got home my knee had already doubled in size. I could hardly walk for the next two weeks.

@Kingfisher101, if you broke your toe a month ago then it will already have started to heal. If it's misalligned then they will have to break it again to realign it. Just keep taking the pain killers.

And your medical qualifications are?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
NHS is great for serious acute issues. For minor and some chronic issues, it has gone downhill badly.

Sitting there by New Street Station with blood pouring out of my face hearing that it will be several hours before an ambulance arrives is enough to make me consider joining NCAP to vent my views. Didn't bother with A&E or walk-in at all, as the blood stopped flowing.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is waxing lyrical about his treatment for cancer.

screenman

Legendary Member
NHS is great for serious acute issues. For minor and some chronic issues, it has gone downhill badly.

Sitting there by New Street Station with blood pouring out of my face hearing that it will be several hours before an ambulance arrives is enough to make me consider joining NCAP to vent my views. Didn't bother with A&E or walk-in at all, as the blood stopped flowing.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is waxing lyrical about his treatment for cancer.

Has it gone downhill, or is it being abused by people who do not really need to use it? Personally, I feel the latter.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd go, grit my teeth and wait it out. Some of the consequences further down the line if not properly treated are unlikely but unpleasant. Take my glasses and a Mills and Boon and wait it out.

Be polite to staff, spend the time watching the idiots coming in for a sore throat or painful split toenail, etc. I had the pleasure of watching such shenanigans when Mrs D was recently admitted for pneumonia and ended up also being treated for sepsis, thankfully successfully.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'd go, grit my teeth and wait it out. Some of the consequences further down the line if not properly treated are unlikely but unpleasant. Take my glasses and a Mills and Boon and wait it out.

Be polite to staff, spend the time watching the idiots coming in for a sore throat or painful split toenail, etc. I had the pleasure of watching such shenanigans when Mrs D was recently admitted for pneumonia and ended up also being treated for sepsis, thankfully successfully.

It seems we are both in agreement on this one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I only go when I have special assess to 'Resus' (8 years ago) - fabulous service, Ambulance turned up fast, straight through to Resus. Didn't get to go home for about 7 weeks.

Only OP can decide what they do. If the toe is looking OK, then I'd leave it - probably a bit late now though.

What puts me off going to A&E is the wait and the number of time wasters there. I split my arm open 18 months ago, and decided a trip to Boots was probably a quicker way of sticking myself back together.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If you've had an x-ray already, you'll probably just be strapped up by the triage nurse practitioner and sent on your way very quickly. Just go to the same hospital that did the x-ray!

They don't do that type of medical care they just do the Xrays and a few other things, like blood tests and a hearing clinic etc.
What was said to me after the Xray was you need to go to A and E but they wont do much just tape it etc. I said I didn't want to go and they said if you don't then go to the G.P tomorrow. I rang the G.Ps and they said they didn't do taping etc and that I needed to go to the walk in centre. Which isn't possible as its miles away, in an exceptionally bad area and I don't drive or go to A and E.
Thank you for all your replies and kind advice.
I'll tape it at home and see how it goes. It doesn't need an operation or anything, if it did I'd have to go to A and E.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Has it gone downhill, or is it being abused by people who do not really need to use it? Personally, I feel the latter.

Here, They wont see you if you go with minor issues and send you to the Chemist, G.P or walk in centre etc. There are still a lot of people that go with self inflicted injuries which is usually due to wider unaddressed issues etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom