Brakes - which is liked better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
More than that. You have to drop wheel out, remove old pads, reset the pistons, before inserting new pads, and putting wheel back in. I really can’t see how you can do all that in 2 mins.

Why do you need the wheel out, aren't they just like car callipers?

Alex321

Guru
More than that. You have to drop wheel out, remove old pads, reset the pistons, before inserting new pads, and putting wheel back in. I really can’t see how you can do all that in 2 mins.

It really doesn't take much longer. Take wheel out - 30 seconds, most of which is twiddling the through-axle. Take old pads out - 10 seconds, maybe twice that if you have them secured with a screw rather than split pin. Push pistons back, 15 seconds. New pads in, maybe 30 seconds, put wheel back in - another 30 seconds.

That has been my experience, except once when I really struggled to get the screw out - the old 105 callipers used a slot head screw which is rather soft and I wrecked the screw head. Replaced with split pin after that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Probably could, yes. My point was that it's nowhere near as complicated or protracted as some are make out.

Yeah, the brakes "debate" is far too absolutist. There are pros and cons, as I tried to set out above, and not all applications have the same best answer. And of course, some of our is pure personal preference too.

Jody

Stubborn git
Yeah, the brakes "debate" is far too absolutist. There are pros and cons, as I tried to set out above, and not all applications have the same best answer. And of course, some of our is pure personal preference too.

That's a fair assessment. It's the perenial never ending debate.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It really doesn't take much longer. Take wheel out - 30 seconds, most of which is twiddling the through-axle. Take old pads out - 10 seconds, maybe twice that if you have them secured with a screw rather than split pin. Push pistons back, 15 seconds. New pads in, maybe 30 seconds, put wheel back in - another 30 seconds.

That has been my experience, except once when I really struggled to get the screw out - the old 105 callipers used a slot head screw which is rather soft and I wrecked the screw head. Replaced with split pin after that.

I think you are woefully underestimating how long it takes. Next time you change your rear pads you can film it unedited. Then we can see you match your estimates on film.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think you are woefully underestimating how long it takes. Next time you change your rear pads you can film it unedited. Then we can see you match your estimates on film.

I agree, but also the bigger issue is for me that you can't judge whether the pads even need replacing without removing them first. And even then it's not obvious - they're only, what, 3mm to start with?

Whereas for rims a seconds glance suffices.

At least that's my experience. Others may differ.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

Add 30 minutes looking for the screw that drops on the floor and disappears, 20 minutes for sausage fingers trying to faff with small parts and 3 days waiting for the correct parts to be sent after being sent the wrong uns.

Top Bottom