Brake Pad Touching Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I noticed that my Spa audax came with 105 kit but tektro brakes. That’s probably because of this issue and how Spa worked around it.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

I noticed that my Spa audax came with 105 kit but tektro brakes. That’s probably because of this issue and how Spa worked around it.

Yeah that'll be the reason , I went riding today 1st time since I extended the caliper with a file and I noticed the little rubber nodules on the tyre that come on new tyres are still intact after 50 plus mile so I assume I've solved it

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've left a centimeter of metal

I'm very surprised.
1723411604613.png

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Are you sure it had ten mm originally? The ones I have seen have maybe 5mm tops. Ten mm would be a rather extravagant use of material for no good purpose.

Yeah it's ever so slightly tear dropped at the bottom , it's probably nearer 5 than ten I've left 2mm on the bottom now and the fit is bang on with worn pads so hopefully with a set of new ones I should be well in , now I've just got to get over the little voice in my head every time I slam on , the little manufacturer nodules on the tire are still there and the tiny dots of Tipex I painted on likewise so the rim is clear

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So it seems from brief googling that 5700 and 5800 have different brake pull ratios, but I do not know which way around. You will either have a very short lever pull meaning sharp brakes or you will have a long lever pull meaning lots of travel with the risk of bottoming the lever on the bars.

I'd double check that, they have different gear pull ratio,, not least because once is 10 speed one in 11 speed, but the brake pull is identical.

Top Bottom