Brake Pad Touching Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just keep an eye on them. Looks OK to me. I keep an eye on my two canti braked bikes, as the pads wear, the pad moves 'lower' on the braking surface.

My old Dura Ace brakes have a 39-49 drop, and my pads are around the 42 ! - older bikes had much tighter clearance as we didn't have tractor tyres. I had long drop brakes on the commuter bike as it had room for guards.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Just keep an eye on them. Looks OK to me. I keep an eye on my two canti braked bikes, as the pads wear, the pad moves 'lower' on the braking surface.

My old Dura Ace brakes have a 39-49 drop, and my pads are around the 42 ! - older bikes had much tighter clearance as we didn't have tractor tyres. I had long drop brakes on the commuter bike as it had room for guards.

Cheers buddy

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I agree - although they are clear of the tyre the pads still look like they will wear around the edge of the rim.

Yes, slightly mitigated by the fact that, if used with the correct pads - which appears to be the case, carbon rims don't wear as fast as alu ones, but you don't want to be wearing the rim right at the edge when its holding the tyre bead.

I'd be getting longer drop calipers if it were me.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

I think I'll buy this ......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240809_124545_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240809_124545_Chrome.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9

figbat

Slippery scientist
What levers do you have? If 105 then they are the 5xxx series.

figbat

Slippery scientist
So it seems from brief googling that 5700 and 5800 have different brake pull ratios, but I do not know which way around. You will either have a very short lever pull meaning sharp brakes or you will have a long lever pull meaning lots of travel with the risk of bottoming the lever on the bars.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ever tried taking a brake apart , no forum in the world can help you with that

When restoring some old 80s era bikes some years ago I did actually take some centre pulls apart. I cleaned polished them up nicely. It wasn't all that difficult to take them apart.

However, putting them back together. Now, that was a different matter. Spring goes boing! Spring goes ping! :laugh:

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

When restoring some old 80s era bikes some years ago I did actually take some centre pulls apart. I cleaned polished them up nicely. It wasn't all that difficult to take them apart.

However, putting them back together. Now, that was a different matter. Spring goes boing! Spring goes ping! :laugh:

😁

Top Bottom