Brake Pad Touching Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheers good points there I've seen a video of someone file out a couple of millimetres from the bottom of the bracket they sit , any thoughts on that ?

Filing is perfectly OK. I've done that on many bikes. Get the right size round file. Remove the caliper and do the job in a vice where yoiu have control and can file straight and square.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had exactly the same problem. I replaced the Miche brakes on my bike with 105 calipers that came with some other stuff that I'd bought. They looked marginally cooler than the originals but were no different in function. They were also a bit too short and wore into my front tyre causing a blowout. I solved the problem by taking the 105 calipers off, returning them to the box of junk from whence they came, and putting the old Miche ones back on.

Full story here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-cautionary-tale.291500/

As mentioned above @Ajax Bay has a similar story.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Not familiar with these particular 105 brakes, but there is usually a small adjusting screw that can be twiddled that lowers one side and raises the other side, think its the 'centring adjustment screw' but not sure where it might be located on this model.
Also notice it looks like you have the quick release lever on the brake in the open position?
I have also filed down the slots on brakes in the past to give more height adjustment.

More pics would be useful, head on, and of drive side of brake.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi yeah I recently upgraded the whole groupset to 105 from Claris (brakes calipers were Tekro)
I had temporarily forgotten your 'upgrade' activity/travails (see other threads). Just pop the proper OEM Tektro front calipers back on and consider what's important: safe effective braking or 'ooh look at my 105 groupset'.
Think how filing the slot 2mm deeper would look on those lovely 105 calipers!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had temporarily forgotten your 'upgrade' activity/travails (see other threads). Just pop the proper OEM Tektro front calipers back on and consider what's important: safe effective braking or 'ooh look at my 105 groupset'.

Do 105 come with a long drop version?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi yeah I recently upgraded the whole groupset to 105 from Claris (brakes calipers were Tekro)

So this is pretty much the same scenario that both I and @Ajax Bay found ourselves in (see my thread linked above) Very pretty new blingy 105 brakes which look great but have just the teeny tiny drawback of causing your tyres to blow out.

We both fixed the problem by putting the old brakes (Miche in my case, RX100 in @Ajax Bay 's case) back on. You could follow us and put your Tektros back on or you could get filing.

I don't know if there's a standard for brake drop, or if it just varies by frame manufacturer. I think 105s must be on the short side and not suitable for all frames.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

I mentioned below I've flogged the Claris groupset on Ebay so I've got with a round file and took about 2mm off the caliper, and it seems to have got it bang on

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

This may be bollocks but when I upgraded the whole thing I also upgraded the tyres to 28s from 25s ....is that significant

Top Bottom