Brake Pad Touching Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi All I've noticed my 105 pads are ever so slightly touching the rim of the tyre it's only on the front and on one side and I've lowered them as far as they'll go in the bracket

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808_100925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_100925_Gallery.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20240808_100920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_100920_Gallery.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240808_100915_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_100915_Gallery.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 49
Is the wheel seated correctly and not sitting on the lawyers lip?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Be aware that riding them like that will result in abrasion of the sidewall and eventually slight tube protuberance, followed invariably on a steep downhill by an immediate deflation which on the front may have 'consequences' (and not just needing to boot and replace the tube and gingerly make it home). DAMHIKT (x2)
I bought some 105 brakes (on here I think) which looked dead smart but when I fitted them I had exactly your issue, so reinstated the originals, which had that extra few mm of reach.
Apart from replacement, the best thing you can do is use new pads as this pushes the caliper arms apart and makes a mm difference. It may be that the pads currently have minimal wear, in which case this mitigation route is null.
Vital that the pads are precisely tangential.
But as the pads wear down, beware.
The other thing you can do is to pare the top edge of the pads, narrowing them (so reducing contact area and efficiency) but at least they won't abrade the tyres.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Be aware that riding them like that will result in abrasion of the sidewall and eventually slight tube protuberance, followed invariably on a steep downhill by an immediate deflation which on the front may have 'consequences' (and not just needing to boot and replace the tube and gingerly make it home). DAMHIKT (x2)
I bought some 105 brakes (on here I think) which looked dead smart but when I fitted them I had exactly your issue, so reinstated the originals, which had that extra few mm of reach.
Apart from replacement, the best thing you can do is use new pads as this pushes the caliper arms apart and makes a mm difference. It may be that the pads currently have minimal wear, in which case this mitigation route is null.
Vital that the pads are precisely tangential.
But as the pads wear down, beware.
The other thing you can do is to pare the top edge of the pads, narrowing them (so reducing contact area and efficiency) but at least they won't abrade the tyres.

Cheers good points there I've seen a video of someone file out a couple of millimetres from the bottom of the bracket they sit , any thoughts on that ?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Have they always been like this or have you changed something? brake calipers do come in different sizes to account for closer tyre clearance to the frame etc.

Hi yeah I recently upgraded the whole groupset to 105 from Claris (brakes calipers were Tekro)

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they the same drop as previous brakes?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

There's what the rear pads look like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808_110045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_110045_Gallery.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240808_110038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_110038_Gallery.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20240808_110032_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_110032_Gallery.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240808_110023_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_110023_Gallery.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 26

screenman

Legendary Member
Cheers good points there I've seen a video of someone file out a couple of millimetres from the bottom of the bracket they sit , any thoughts on that ?

You could do that, not sure what it would do strength wise though, not a lot would be my guess.

Top Bottom