Bicycle Lock Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
Of course, what we have to remember here is that there isn't much point having a lock which is signoficantly stroinger than what the bike is going to be locked to.

Most of the "sheffield" bike stands are made of material that an angle grinder will go through like a knife through butter.

Very true, but what can you do about it apart from be picky about where you lock up? And what do you class as a good stand?
A Sheffield stand is about the best you can do in many places but yes they are mild steel tube. Lamp posts are good if your lock will go round but apart from that it's railings etc. As mentioned it's about assessing the risk. The time it's there, the exposure (how public), how fancy the bike looks, how good the lock is. Exposure cuts both ways: more scrotes will see it but too much public exposure will reduce the attractiveness

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just my teppence worth: If I had a nice and/or expensive bike, I wouldn't commute on it if in a high crime area or I knew it would be out of site. My old commuter was £1500 new, but the area is low crime and there is cctv on site, plus offices overlooking the bike stands. So I was happy using a Kryptonite D-lock (think it was £70-£80 at the time).

If you really want to ride your nice bike to work and lock it up, I would say if you can afford hundreds on a bike then you can afford the litelok X1 or X3, for me that would be a no brainer. A bit like buying a motorcycle and then spending a few hundred on helmet, gloves, boots, locks etc. It's got to be done.

I've just watched the angle grinder attack on the X1 and that seems really impressive. At the point where someone is going to go through multiple discs and risk having the police called on them, I think that's the best you can do (and insure it)

Dadam

Über Member
As I mentioned upthread I'm lucky to lock my bike up in a pretty safe environment, or for just few minutes at a shop, so a sold secure gold D lock is sufficient. If the Litelok X1 had been available at the time I'd have bought one of those and if I need to replace the current one the X1 will be top of the list.

The other aspect of course, is the fact that so many people leave their bikes inadequately secured.

So in theory all you need is a bike that is no more desirable than the one you are locking yours up next to and a better lock. That's of course assuming there isn't an organised gang of thieves working the area with a van or nearby storage.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don’t think anyone is complaining about the cost of these locks per say. It’s the weight, size and inconvenience of carrying them.

Yes understood. But IMO weight and invonvenience are part of the same package, and part of the punishment cyclists have to go through to have nice things where srotes don't nick them

SO8

Guru
I'm looking at a Hiplok DX1000 now as my D1000 won't go through the wheel and frame onto a Sheffield stand. It's heavy and costly but as I have a hybrid bike and quick release wheels I am currently using a combination of either 2 locks and a chain or 3 locks to secure itwhich weigh more.

The DX1000 will do the frame, wheel and onto a stand where the smaller locks won't ... it all costs though and to save carrying 1.5kg extra in weight as I currently do will cost £300 .... so maybe I keep carrying the extra weight in my panniers lol

SO8

Guru
I'm looking at a Hiplok DX1000 now as my D1000 won't go through the wheel and frame onto a Sheffield stand. It's heavy and costly but as I have a hybrid bike and quick release wheels I am currently using a combination of either 2 locks and a chain or 3 locks to secure itwhich weigh more.

The DX1000 will do the frame, wheel and onto a stand where the smaller locks won't ... it all costs though and to save carrying 1.5kg extra in weight as I currently do will cost £300 .... so maybe I keep carrying the extra weight in my panniers lol

Oops ….DX1000 now in pannier. My locks cost more than the bike is now worth ! It was £1200 back in 2012 though 🤣

Top Bottom