Anybody gone back to try a "manual" bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Try bike and bike - simples!

Ebike and bike, surely. But yes, good point.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have always said I am too young for an ebike ( 74 at the end of the month) and it really annoy me when I see young people speeding past on ebikes because they are too lazy to use a proper bike.

It really pleases me when I see young people not in a car because they have the gumption to get some exercise and not pollute unnecessarily.

iandg

Legendary Member
I ride both. This year I've done 79 rides/3014km on non-electric bikes and 44 rides/1486km on my ebike.

I use the ebike as a utility bike, eg. towing a trailer, 20 mile round shopping trip etc.

I use the non electric bikes for recreational cycling.

Going out on a bike is for enjoyment as well as fitness

A lot of people us ethem because they can go further and get to more - and nicer - places than they could on a normal bike

SOme people use them so that if they can't get back home due to some physical problem (like asthma) then they can up the assist level and that gives them the extra confidence that they will be OK

anything that enables people to get out in the fresh air is good

and it is genuine exercise - less aerobic than a normal bike - but it still counts and is better than driving

Good morning,

I have an 18 miles each way commute 5 days a week and for two years did it on a normal bike, an ebike arrived in January this year, Ribble ALe/Mahle X35, and apart from about 8 weeks with knee issuess it has been the only bike I ride.

When I first got it, it was almost redundent, there were only a couple of spots on the commute that the motor could contribute to.

But over time I have gotten lazy, I don't feel like it today, let's turn up the motor or well I bought it so let it do the work and similar excuses. To be fair to me :-) there have been spells of flat out hard rides but it just seems to be that over these 8 or so months a tiny bit of fitness has disappeared each week.

This has been most notable on the two 10%+ hills and presumably this has a knock on effect elsewhere.

On the flat and gradual inclines, areas where I was still always riding way outside the cut off speed, these include a couple of flat out 25-30mph for a couple of miles sections, the loss seems to be smaller.

As well as the motor the ebike is 50/34, 11-32 and the road bike 48/38, 11-25, so it was increddibly easy to skive

A couple of moths ago I noticed that my resting heart rate had gone up by about 10bpm (45 to 55 ish) and the commute had started to slow down. So I planned to swap back, but storage issues makes it difficult to have two bikes easily accessible and secure.

Because of this I didn't qute get around to swaping until this Tuesday morning, as the freewheel was freewheeling both ways, I had to use the steel "road" bike, what a shock.

I also appear to be 10 minutes slower over the commute than I was before getting the ebike and it sure feels really hard. However speed is already returning and I hope that the hills will be back to being easy again soon.

Bye

Ian
p.s. I contacted Ribble live chat was told to take it to a local bike shop! I am awaiting a better answer

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I was suggesting some of the young ebikers may be disabled, possibly a so-called "hidden" disability, not that they are unhealthy!
Maybe extend that "hidden disabilities" into other areas of cycling, if you truly believe what you're trying to say

Nibor

Bewildered
Pedantry isn't helpful here. There's a need for an easy way to differentiate electric assist from non electric assist bikes. They're all bikes. If manual strictly means by hand then the equivalent for foot is "pedal", so pedal bikes? But they're all pedal bikes too, just that the assisted version have an added motor. So what else to use?

"Acoustic bike" is just silly and cringey. "Non assisted" or "non electrically assisted" is too clumsy. You could use "mechanical" but an ebike is mechanical device too but with a motor.

I suppose "non-electric" works but I like "manual bike", it gets the point across clearly and succinctly, which is the point of language. When I use it everyone knows I'm not talking about handbikes. Language evolves and people use words in vague or all-encompassing senses all the time.

A "bike" is any conveyance on two wheels, (ok one behind the other for the pedants). Bicycles, scooters, motorcycles (which is short for motor-bicycles anyway). The meaning depends on context.

How about Bikes and wait for it Electric Bikes you could even shorten it to E-Bike

Dadam

Ãœber Member
How about Bikes and wait for it Electric Bikes you could even shorten it to E-Bike

Electric bikes are a subset of the superset of bikes. If I commute by any one of my bikes I'm commuting by bike (not car, bus, walk). It may or may not be an electric one.

Top Bottom