Anybody gone back to try a "manual" bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
Manual= hand-operated. I'm confused.

I thought they were called bikes

Pedantry isn't helpful here. There's a need for an easy way to differentiate electric assist from non electric assist bikes. They're all bikes. If manual strictly means by hand then the equivalent for foot is "pedal", so pedal bikes? But they're all pedal bikes too, just that the assisted version have an added motor. So what else to use?

"Acoustic bike" is just silly and cringey. "Non assisted" or "non electrically assisted" is too clumsy. You could use "mechanical" but an ebike is mechanical device too but with a motor.

I suppose "non-electric" works but I like "manual bike", it gets the point across clearly and succinctly, which is the point of language. When I use it everyone knows I'm not talking about handbikes. Language evolves and people use words in vague or all-encompassing senses all the time.

A "bike" is any conveyance on two wheels, (ok one behind the other for the pedants). Bicycles, scooters, motorcycles (which is short for motor-bicycles anyway). The meaning depends on context.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
"Pedal" is an adjective that in the dictionary is described as.......

pedal. adjective. ped·al. ˈped-ᵊl also ˈpēd- : of or relating to the foot.

"Manual" is the hand equivalent.

You could call that pedantic. I call it accurate.

albion

Guru
Very hard to discern.
Nuances like tyres give an extra few watts. Plus stamina needs about 2 years graft to attain.
My lungs used to pack in at 18mph but everyone has nuances.

'Normal' bikes are sometimes described as "Bio Bikes" here.

I test E-bikes as part of my job and often hit the 25km/h limit without trying so I'll stick to a Bio Bike for my own use... for now.

If I move to a village on top of a hill I'll reconsider.

"Pedal" is an adjective that in the dictionary is described as.......

pedal. adjective. ped·al. ˈped-ᵊl also ˈpēd- : of or relating to the foot.

"Manual" is the hand equivalent.

You could call that pedantic. I call it accurate.

I'm told is also the root of the word "Pedagogy"; it was originally the person (slave) who walked the children of the elites to school.

CXRAndy

Guru
I still ride non Ebikes, almost exclusively indoors on Zwift for racing, training and long endurance, social group rides.

I use my Ebike mostly in spring summer to cycle with the wife to go to pubs, restaurants, see the family which is all within 10 mile radius of our home

I've got one ebike and 3 non-assisted on the fleet - Flat-bar Ribble, Dynatech Ti singlespeed, and a Brompton.
No plans to downsize at all!
There has got to be a better expression for not-an-ebike.
Not manual, and certainly not acoustic or analog, both of which I've heard used by people who should know better.

Try bike and ebike - simples!

Last edited:
Top Bottom