Any ex (or current) Milkman or Milk ladies on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I used to milk dairy cows and take a jugful back in for my mum/the house - does that count?

My Gran had to deliver the milk from the farm she grew up on, this was as a youngster on a pony & cart, loaded with milk urns, and would measure the milk out using a jug, this, I'm guessing would be in the early 1920's

screenman

Legendary Member
Well, I was a full-time milkman, one of the last jobs I had back in about 1976 or thereabout, working for the Co-Op out of the Teddington yard; my round was East and West Molesey, around Hampton Court. Some mornings if there was nobody about, I would cut through Bushey Park, ( no commercial vehicle allowed) it saved 5 miles of driving in a 3 wheel electric cart. I remember one very snowy day when the chain slipped on the first cart so they brought me out a replacement, then the batteries went down on the one so they sent the truck out for me to finish with.

I was the world worst milkman many of us doubled up to save time, after all we all had to get back to the yard fast so we could start our other businesses, bricklayers, sparkies, plumbers and my self a car dealer. Well I used to triple up so that some customers got 3 days worth of milk each visit.

The naked lady in the kitchen in the flats I delivered to most days was not my customer, but I had to walk along the balcony to mine, which meant passing her window.

There were over £350 in Christmas tips. It was a nice area. The two sisters, one of whom gave me a fiver Christmas tip, did the same the next week. I tried to refuse it, but they were not having it.

The two runners I paid, this meant I could get around even faster, on some roads i could just drive down slowly whilst they run and delivered, they were quick and worth the money when I really wanted an early finish.

This job set us up well, it meant for the six months I did it, seven days a week I could live off of the wages whilst banking my car dealing income, as I said it was likely my last job.

If I think of any more I will post them up.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Well, I was a full-time milkman, one of the last jobs I had back in about 1976 or thereabout, working for the Co-Op out of the Teddington yard; my round was East and West Molesey, around Hampton Court. Some mornings if there was nobody about, I would cut through Bushey Park, ( no commercial vehicle allowed) it saved 5 miles of driving in a 3 wheel electric cart. I remember one very snowy day when the chain slipped on the first cart so they brought me out a replacement, then the batteries went down on the one so they sent the truck out for me to finish with.

I was the world worst milkman many of us doubled up to save time, after all we all had to get back to the yard fast so we could start our other businesses, bricklayers, sparkies, plumbers and my self a car dealer. Well I used to triple up so that some customers got 3 days worth of milk each visit.

The naked lady in the kitchen in the flats I delivered to most days was not my customer, but I had to walk along the balcony to mine, which meant passing her window.

There were over £350 in Christmas tips. It was a nice area. The two sisters, one of whom gave me a fiver Christmas tip, did the same the next week. I tried to refuse it, but they were not having it.

The two runners I paid, this meant I could get around even faster, on some roads i could just drive down slowly whilst they run and delivered, they were quick and worth the money when I really wanted an early finish.

This job set us up well, it meant for the six months I did it, seven days a week I could live off of the wages whilst banking my car dealing income, as I said it was likely my last job.

If I think of any more I will post them up.

Are you happy for me to use this? what can I credit you as? first name and initial. Pm it to me if you like

presta

Guru
I wasn't a milkman, but I did help out on my local milk round with John the milk at weekends and school holidays.
My father's best friend was a milkman for a while, and promised to take me out on his round with him, but when the day came he changed his mind. I never did find out why, but I wondered if he realised I'd have been uninsured.
In the bad winter of 1963....
That's the only time I've ever seen a column of frozen milk extruded from the neck of the bottle, with the cap perched on the top of it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a job delivering Co-op bread. Does that count.
2 funny stories (bear in mind I was maybe 22 years old).
1. A woman customer used to give me a cup of tea and we would have a natter. This day she was telling me that her female neighbour used to have a lover in while her husband worked nights. The previous night they were 'at it big time' when the the guy had a heart attack and died......... how did she explain that to her husband ?
2. Delivered bread to one house and the husband and wife asked me straight out if myself and my wife wanted to come to thier 'wife swapping' party.
I (truthfully) told them that my wife was 8 months pregnant... phew!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I had a Saturday job as one for a couple of years from when I was 15 prior to starting full time work. A local farmer had a round, so Saturday morning was long and busy.
A walk up to the farm about 5 ish. Get the van loaded with three types of milk; raw, pasteurised and a handful of steralised for a couple of customers and if the farmer wasn't ready, bottle filing and cleaning for the next deliveries. Hopefully on the road for 5:30/6:00.
Double delivery Saturday and pay day for the week's deliveries. As the farmer had pretty much a monopoly in some places we visited, he had a lot of deliveries. Sometimes we had to come back for more, which made the day even longer.
The farmer's delivery van packed in not long after I started there, so he bought a new one and customised it to suit his deliveries. As this was pre health and safety, his customising was to completely remove the driver and passenger doors. Weld reinforcing into the roof and then cut out the side panels, leaving just a lip on the side to stop crates from sliding off sideways. The rear doors were also removed and a lip inserted.
Except for longer (more than 5 mins) journeys, I just used to travel by sitting on the back the van and hold on to either the lip or one of the corner uprights that supported the roof. Which could sometimes be a bit hairy if the farmer or his wife accelerated a bit too hard, as I lived in an area with many steep hills.
My most memorable customer was a good looking woman in her late 30's/early 40's who I knew to say hello to, as she and her husband lived in the next small settlement of houses along from my parents' house. One warm Saturday morning, came to the door and pay her bill wearing a quite revealing nightie and loosely fitting dressing gown. She made a deep impression on a 16 year old boy.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My milkman ran over me in his float when I was a kid ! He was mortified. I'd scooted out of the driveway and straight into his path. Had to scramble from under it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I did a morning paper round there was one milkman we nicknamed Clint, on account that we thought he looked a bit like Clint Eastwood. Word on the paper boy grapevine was that he was a bad un and we were bit afraid of Clint and kept clear of him. I have no idea what, if anything, he ever did to get that reputation.

classic33

Leg End Member
One used at work ended up as a prop on casualty. I have the rotating orange beacon, taken when before the vehicle was removed from the site, from it in the shed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
all these late starts , by the time i packed we started around 2 am , main collection days thurs/ friday it could be as 12-15 hour shift .
Been robbed twice when away from the cab
found a drunk guy asleep in a drive with his trousers and pants around his legs
given a lift to a couple of party girls , although i didnt get any fringe benefits
seen a naked old lady in a window
slid backwards down a hill in snow
good customers who offered to pay for my IVF , i obviously couldnt accept
tax man would take extra tax based on some average figure they worked out on tips even though they didnt know how much i made
xmas /new years double and triple deliveries
fell over and cut my hand and i was expected to finish my round with stitches in my hand .

Top Bottom