Another pavement cyclist jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
The American woman who killed a motorcycle rider by driving on the wrong side of the road got 8 months, suspended for a year. The shock jock who wrote nasty emails to the BBC got five years.
Unfortunately, you don’t have to make it up.

Aye, and what a fight that was to get her away from the Donald and into court.

Alex321

Guru
Unfortunately there is no crime until someone is injured. Roll on a Dangerous Cycling law.

We have had a dangerous cycling law for over 30 years.

Road Traffic Act Section 28.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/I/crossheading/cycling-offences-and-cycle-racing

Punkawallah

Über Member
Yeah, disgusting.

I think the public enquiry is still ongoing, so it will be interesting to see what comes of that.

In all probability the square root of San Fairy Ann - the purpose of public enquiries seems to be to run the clock out on people’s attention span, and then wait for the concerned parties to die while they produce their ‘findings’. Consecutive with extracting money from the public purse for those in the driving seat.

Slick

Guru
In all probability the square root of San Fairy Ann - the purpose of public enquiries seems to be to run the clock out on people’s attention span, and then wait for the concerned parties to die while they produce their ‘findings’. Consecutive with extracting money from the public purse for those in the driving seat.

Looks like I was mistaken, its an inquest that the Americans have chosen to ignore, and it will take a change of government before we see a public enquiry.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ily-say-us-obstructing-inquest-into-his-death

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

The US controlled bases have changed their driver training & associated procedures in the UK to try to prevent a recurrence. She had fallen through a gap and not received any training, sadly. It may still have happened, of course, but perhaps not.

The extradition laws which we signed up to with the US are notably uneven - had the reverse happened there's little doubt they would have been able to have a UK citizen back to the US for trial.

Rufus Chh

If an accident involving a pedestrian and a cyclist on a shared pavement, both cannot be faulted. Pedestrians love to day dream and look at the handphone while walking and cyclists love not to stop for nothing to stay in momentum. That’s natural human behaviour. The blame should be on the infrastructure. Cars must be physically segregated from bicycles and bicycles from pedestrians because all of them move at different speed. Is that simple. Cars are killing countless of people each year. If it’s an organisation, it would have been closed down long time ago but yet we lived with it somehow.

Mike_P

Guru
If an accident involving a pedestrian and a cyclist on a shared pavement, both cannot be faulted. Pedestrians love to day dream and look at the handphone while walking and cyclists love not to stop for nothing to stay in momentum. That’s natural human behaviour. The blame should be on the infrastructure.
Maybe but the Highway Codes ranks pedestrians as the more vulnerable so a cyclist should be prepared to stop if necessary. Easy enough to freewheel covering the brake levers.

Alex321

Guru
If an accident involving a pedestrian and a cyclist on a shared pavement, both cannot be faulted.
Of course they can.

In ANY collision, unless caused by not reasonably foreseeable mechanical or external factors, at least one of those involved is at fault, and often more than one.

Pedestrians love to day dream and look at the handphone while walking and cyclists love not to stop for nothing to stay in momentum.

While there certainly are SOME cyclists and SOME pedestrians who meet those criteria, many don't. Tat is a frankly ridiculous over-generalisation.

That’s natural human behaviour. The blame should be on the infrastructure. Cars must be physically segregated from bicycles and bicycles from pedestrians because all of them move at different speed. Is that simple.
It isn't even remotely close to "that simple". It is completely impossible to do that without severely discouraging people from ding anything but drive.

Cars are killing countless of people each year. If it’s an organisation, it would have been closed down long time ago but yet we lived with it somehow.

Cars aren't killing anyone. Mistakes by car drivers are killing people.

And not countless, they are quite good at counting them, with the numbers going down almost every year for at least the last 40 years.

Alex321

Guru
Nonsense, I think you find people prefer to slow or stop, rather than risk a collision. Unless they are surrounded by a cage and airbags meaning they feel invulnerable.

I don't know a single person who fits your description after "unless" there. Every single person I know would still rather slow or stop than risk a collision, even when in a car.

Alex321

Guru
You’ve clearly never been close passed or had someone drive at you forcing you to take avoiding action. I’m surprised you said no one.

I have been close passed, though not often. And have had people turn in front of me, needing me to take avoiding action.

But I believe those to have been the result of carelessness rather than a deliberate decision to risk a collision.

Though you are probably right that there ARE people out there who hate cyclists enough to do it deliberately. I just don't know any of them.

Top Bottom