Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
design_sketahes.png

Preliminary sketches for the next project, which will be an art Deco van with some seriously excessive weaponry. Van #2 will be the next project.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Might I suggest sponsons rather than a turret? The breech/recoil space would be an issue, plus the height of the van and slope of the roof would mean the turret would be unable to bear on close targets in a general melee?
Or perhaps add a turret to the rear of a pick -up style vehicle?

Might I suggest sponsons rather than a turret? The breech/recoil space would be an issue, plus the height of the van and slope of the roof would mean the turret would be unable to bear on close targets in a general melee?
Or perhaps add a turret to the rear of a pick -up style vehicle?

That sounds suspiciously like 'science' and "logic" and stuff...

The "weapons" will be attached using magnets. This is partly so I can use the model as a "normal" truck, but it also lets me make different weapons; I'll have magnets on the side of the truck, so I can add sponsons.

On the other hand, a recoilless weapon is theoretically possible, and has a certain amount of slapstick potential...

Punkawallah

Über Member

The "weapons" will be attached using magnets. This is partly so I can use the model as a "normal" truck, but it also lets me make different weapons; I'll have magnets on the side of the truck, so I can add sponsons.

On the other hand, a recoilless weapon is theoretically possible, and has a certain amount of slapstick potential...

Ye gods . . .
:-)

Gwylan

Veteran

There's 24 pages of this stuff and not an obvious product.
I've worked on better government projects.
All the armaments need to be independent drone mounted devices.

There's 24 pages of this stuff and not an obvious product.
I've worked on better government projects.
All the armaments need to be independent drone mounted devices.

I'm planning to start a new company, and then "procure" the items for three times the market price. If all goes well, I'll have several mansions and a peerage in a year.

Last edited:
max_van_04.jpg

When I was a child, one of my bugbears with toy cars was the lack of detail on the underside, so if a car was turned over, instead of a vaguely realistic chassis, you got a flat plate with “Matchbox” written across it. It used to annoy me no end.

I was that kind of child.

Naturally, now I’m making a card model of a vehicle, I wanted to make it like the real thing with a chassis and undergubbins to show in the inevitable event of it crashing…

max_van_01.jpg

…this then got out of hand and I ended up building a complete chassis from card and bits of scraps. As usual, I worked from pictures and made extremely rough copies of what I saw, adding various round bits and lumpy bits as I felt like it, entirely unhindered by any understanding of motor vehicles, mechanics or even physics.

This is as near as I get to “scale model making”.

max_van_02s.jpg

However, in one case of very nearly engineering, if you squint, this chassis does genuinely roll; the wheels do turn, generally in the same direction. It took a certain amount of swearing to achieve this, not to mention a complete rebuild of one end after I glued the axles solid, but we’ll gloss over that.

max_van_06s.jpg

Oh my, @Andy in Germany is making a Superstox! :becool:

With heavy ordinance.

I'd watch a Superstox race with that, to be honest, although preferably from a long way away.

2024_07_15_van_2_01s.jpg

Having spent several days gluing my fingers together trying to build a fiddly chassis, I naturally decided to do it all again.

This was partly because I wanted to learn from the mistakes experiences from the first model and at least pretend I’d improved before I forgot everything, but it was also because I like two of the designs I’d sketched, and I’m sufficiently inept at making decisions that I couldn’t choose which one to build…

2024_07_15_van_2_02s.jpg

The second chassis is a little smoother, or possibly just ‘less wobbly’, and will at least look realistic when the van tips over. Any other issues will be resolved by weathering, because weathering solves everything.

It’s been far too long since I actually played a game with all the models I’ve been making, so this week I cleared the kitchen table, in the process finding all kinds of interesting items I thought I’d lost, and set up a new version of “Ascension Island”.

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_02.jpg

It’s 1937; Ascension is a mid-Atlantic meeting point of spies, traders, crooks and diplomats. Unfortunately, one diplomat seems to have vanished while transferring from her South American airship to a British service to carry her to London. Captain Bryant and his team must find the diplomat, hopefully safe and well, and get her off the Island; preferably before her home country declares war.

They’ve finally tracked the Diplomat down to the “Montaro trading” warehouse at the Aerodrome (top right in the picture above). The plan is to get her out of there and bundle her into the waiting aircraft.

Bryant decided to make sure the plane is ready and that the route from the warehouse is safe. He and two of his team exit their police car before Sgt. Coulson drives onward to the warehouse.

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_09.jpg

Bryant and team make contact with the “Foreign Pilot”, (Dictated, as usual, by a die roll and a table of options) but suddenly they are interrupted by Matron Fox of the Auxiliary Police, who claims that the Auxiliaries are dealing with the situation and orders them to stand down. When this fails, she tries her now standard ruse of “What’s that over there?”…

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_10-1.jpg

…and then tries to stop the pilot flying the plane. (This is decided by a die roll; if the Fox wins she is considered to have ‘persuaded’ the pilot to refuse to fly, or incapacitated her). Fortunately, she fails.

However Lt Gunning has taken position on some suspicious looking boxes, and soon bullets are zinging around Bryant’s ears.

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_11.jpg

Meanwhile, the rest of the Auxiliaries are moving fast. Their ‘leader’, Col. Lawrence, has ordered another of the squad, “Commandant Allen”, to drive a truck to the Montaro Warehouse to find the Diplomat…

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_12.jpg

At the same time, he’s dispatched Seaman Dundas to switch off the electricity supply in the hope of stopping the aircraft from taking off.

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_06.jpg

And what of the dashing and brave Col. Lawrence himself, you may ask? He’s in the control tower, where no-one can shoot at him, trying to steal a radio… He pulls at the plug (dice roll) and gets an electric shock

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_20.jpg

Back outside, Bryant and the pilot run for the plane and jump on board with bullets flying around them. The pilot throttles the plane up

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_14.jpg

Meanwhile, Sgt. Coulson, already annoyed at being sent to babysit a diplomat instead of join in any fighting, hears gunshots and diverts along an alleyway into the aerodrome.

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_13.jpg

As Bryant tries to close the door on the plane, Seaman Dundas, having successfully turned off the power switch, runs across and grabs the door frame before it is completely shut. This is unfortunately impossible to show on the model using little figures, so here’s a “behind the scenes” view showing who is on the plane.

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_21.jpg

It’s also showing that the dice gave Seaman Dundas a particularly hard day, as Bryant shows two successes in the ensuing fight, probably bashing the door against Dundas’s fingers.

It seems the Police will be able to rescue the diplomat, but they reckoned without Lt. Gunning, who is still on those boxes…

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_22.jpg

As the plane taxis by, Gunning empties his magazine at it, hoping to hit something critical enough to stop it… He hits four times, but will it damage something important?

(Turn story card)

Kaboom. A stray bullet punctures a fuel line… and smoke starts pouring from the engine. The pilot tries to stop the plane, but it is out of control…

2024_07_21_rescue_the_diplomat_24.jpg

Will the police be able to get to the Diplomat first, or will the Auxiliaries capture her?

Why are the auxiliaries trying to catch the diplomat in the first place?

Can colonel Lawrence steal the radio without further injury?

Found out in next week’s exciting episode of “The Diplomatic Rescue”

Top Bottom