Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yep. It's one of those self-fulfilling things - you can't capture how it looks to the human eye on a camera, so pictures of the NL always looks spectacular and not how they would have looked to observers. So people take pictures and post "WOW!!" with no caveat about how they looked IRL, thus continuing the Cult of the Aurorae.

Many years back I saw them in Cairngorm and whilst you can't seen the colours they were dancing around across half the sky and spectacular. Even after figuring out what they were it was decidedly unsettling to watch

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was in Russia around that time and it was no fun at all.

I was in Stockwell. That wasn't much fun either.

That's good to hear (for those of use that missed out on this week's show!).

If I HAD a bucket list - they are a terrible idea IMO - then seeing the Aurorae "properly" somewhere faaaaaaaar north (preferably Svaaaalbaaard with a polar bear!) would be on it.

Look up Hurtigruten. They do a ship tour up into the arctic circle that guarantees seeing the northern lights.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The back door here has been catching ever since I first opened and closed it 8 years ago... Today, I thought I would finally see if I could sort it out! :whistle:

30 seconds later I had spotted holes in the flaps covering the hinge plates attached to the door. I quickly guessed that there would be something inside which could be turned to move the door in or out. It would be a Posidrive or Allen screw...

Shone torch beam into the hole... Allen screw.

I guessed the size... Got it second time.

Which way to adjust? Nope, that made it worse. Other way... Sorted!

Less than 5 minutes to fix something which bugged me for 8 years!

Then it struck me that YouTube is probably full of videos explaining how to do that... Ah, yes! :blush:

Top Bottom