205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but no further
Looks ok to me. Remember it is m/d/y NOT d/m/y!
I can read American :rolleyes: and Americans can read CycleChat 'cos it was still stuck on the 1st March when I posted. The power of the internet ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They must have just updated it as it was out of date by a couple of days earlier.
I can read American :rolleyes: and Americans can read CycleChat 'cos it was still stuck on the 1st March when I posted. The power of the internet ...
Ah, ok!

Looking at that spreadsheet really brought home the magnitude of the task ... Seeing a list of Godwin's double-centuries-plus and knowing that the challengers will have to continue beating them - hmm!

I still think the enterprise is barking mad, and I fear for the mental and physical health*** of all who undertake it, but it is undeniably amazing and the best of luck to them!

*** At the very least, they should get bone density scans done and take whatever steps necessary to avoid osteoporosis.

StuartG

slower but no further
I agree. I think it a mistake to get fixated on the current daily mileages being above or below 200. Both Steve and Kurt are currently well positioned to beat Tommy's record - if they can only keep going. Remember Tommy's companions faded away. One injury, illness or crash could end it at any time for either of them. The psychological challenge is probably even bigger than the physical one. Frankly if I was either Kurt or Steve I would be ignoring the other and be totally focussed on Tommy's target. It would be a surprise if both can make it all the way. If they start competing against each other then it is just going to up the strain and push one or both too far and out of the record books.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And his cameraperson KEEPS talking to him when he's got his mouth full! "Every day it happens", he says...
must be damn boring for the lass (his wife?) following him around. Surely being a tiny campervan for a year prepping food and washing dirty cycling gear and looking forward to seeing captain grumpy of an evening is a bigger mental challenge than riding 200 miles a day.

MisterStan

Label Required
Kurt's diet is awful IMO. No mention of fruit or vegetables.

Steve is very fortunate with his home cooked meals.

Top Bottom