205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 221 / 2: Kurt rides 220 miles from the south of the state back north towards Manitowoc. Steve does 214 miles in a Thetford Forest loop, putting him ahead of his January day two distance and passing Arthur Humbles' 1932 record. Miles does a return trip of the bay for 130 miles.

oyttDay221.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Does anyone know if there is something wrong with Miles as he is just dropping further and further behind, or is he trying to mirror the Tommy actual daily miles and therefore will ramp it up as Tommy did?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I just don't think he's up for the challenge. In fact, I don't think anyone actually realises the scale of the challenge until they actually start and get into it. If he doesn't up his game immediately, Miles is nearing to become too far behind to be any sort of serious challenger.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
upload_2015-8-10_11-6-18.png

Not if you look at the data in another way. He's only about 300 miles beyond Tommy Godwin's equivalent distance at the same stage of the year.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
View attachment 99641

Not if you look at the data in another way. He's only about 300 miles beyond Tommy Godwin's equivalent distance at the same stage of the year.

At his current rate of daily mileage. He needs to up his game considerably and quickly as he will have too much to catch up. And as we have seen, you really can't skimp on the mileage for any length of time or you will always be playing catch up.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Early days - literally - for Steve's second attempt, but I see he's addressed his problem of riding too slowly.

Average so far of 18.7mph, which means he can do 200 miles + in a riding time of about 12 hours.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
At his current rate of daily mileage. He needs to up his game considerably and quickly as he will have too much to catch up. And as we have seen, you really can't skimp on the mileage for any length of time or you will always be playing catch up.
Just like Mr Godwin did....

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
22 mins ·
Kurt has had this annoying cough and chest irritation going on for a while now. He tried the recumbent yesterday, but that didn't last long. He has an appointment to see a doctor on Wednesday. His motivation, energy and spirits were low yesterday. I had to help him get out of this funk. So, I told him to find an area I could park the van and we both could ride. We cruised around Fox Lake enjoying the scenery like tourists. His spirits lifted and he was off again. Yeah! He wanted to end his ride at this outdoor pub/restaurant we had passed so many times (we NEVER have time to eat out or go to dinner). I was to jump ahead and meet him there, but it was packed with a long wait. Oh well... I'm really proud of him for staying on his bike. It was a long day and he got through it. He did it... again. ~ Alicia

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
....winter in Australia, he'll still be able to ride in shorts and not worry about ice or 'owt.

Sounds pretty miserable, here are some recent posts.

Go Miles
5 August at 13:36 ·
"As you get to spend extended periods on the bike, say anything over an Audax 300 in winter, you are going to be riding in the dark.

Reading route directions, looking at maps, changing a tyre, fixing that thing that only happens when its dark, cold and raining or when you need to conserve your battery's on your various Garmin devices, you'll need a separate light source. This is what I use. It's ripped out of one of those cheesy peaked caps with lights built into the peak. I can switch it on and off with thumb of left hand even in the thickest water proof sealskin gloves. Previous one I had, even had a solar panel to keep batteries topped up.

Clear skies in Port Melbourne = Cold. I can cope with cold down to zero, below this I suffer. Suffering in the head more than anything. Last night I made Dandenong just out side of one hour and Pakenham in two, quick all the way to Yarragon but had to stop as so cold hands were loosing grip, spray off trucks plus misting up glasses, and the uncontrollable shakes. Same shakes kept waking me up on train back. Anyway six hours sleep now then up at midnight, no probs with chest, no colds, no flu (biggest fear re catching trains and inclement weather)." ‪#‎GoMiles‬

Go Miles added 3 new photos.
1 August at 12:59 ·
"On train back from Bairnsdale. Severe winds, gale force on the coast, warnings on radio all day. Wet and very grey all day.

It's a strange feeling having the bike lent over to the left as you pedal up the road, stranger still when you are taking a right bend.

Intend to get a quick 4 hrs sleep then out again to Bairnsdale to catch midday train back which will give me options for tomorrow PM - maybe Shepparton, Seymour or back down the bay.

Yesterday was a right stuff up. Found myself riding into 40 kph winds.

Still on my original Durano performance plus tyres. Any truck drivers reading this needing several winch/buckles for the side tarps on their 18 wheelers (up to 30 now on the doubles) just have a look on the hard shoulder 10 kms either side of Moe.

Can't sleep anymore as nearby passenger doesn't seem to comprehend 'noise gain' technology built into both the phone and the network for several generations of equipment. "I'll just shout into the phone".

I'm sounding more and more like someone's Dad." ‪#‎GoMiles‬

Poor Miles, wet and cold again....
"It is soooo cold in Gippsland. Made it as far as Trafalgar, but wet to the skin and 1 degree C, when your pushing 30+ kph means you freeze. The interchangeable mud guards (fenders in the USA) are of course on the other bike, some pommy idiot forgot to swap them over when changing bikes. So water in my boots and everywhere else. Currently stuffing my face at BK's Takeaway(local cafe) with a giant bacon and egg roll.

Managed to rack up 130 miles this morning and currently I'm awaiting train home by 9.30 am, then out again by 10.30. This means I miss the 4 hrs sleep I was looking forward to, on the train from Bairnsdale." ‪#‎GoMiles‬

swansonj

Guru

Go Miles
"As you get to spend extended periods on the bike, say anything over an Audax 300 in winter, you are going to be riding in the dark.

Reading route directions, looking at maps, changing a tyre, fixing that thing that only happens when its dark, cold and raining or when you need to conserve your battery's on your various Garmin devices, you'll need a separate light source. This is what I use. It's ripped out of one of those cheesy peaked caps with lights built into the peak. I can switch it on and off with thumb of left hand even in the thickest water proof sealskin gloves. Previous one I had, even had a solar panel to keep batteries topped up.

Clear skies in Port Melbourne = Cold. I can cope with cold down to zero, below this I suffer. Suffering in the head more than anything. Last night I made Dandenong just out side of one hour and Pakenham in two, quick all the way to Yarragon but had to stop as so cold hands were loosing grip, spray off trucks plus misting up glasses, and the uncontrollable shakes. Same shakes kept waking me up on train back. Anyway six hours sleep now then up at midnight, no probs with chest, no colds, no flu (biggest fear re catching trains and inclement weather)." ‪#‎GoMiles‬

"On train back from Bairnsdale. Severe winds, gale force on the coast, warnings on radio all day. Wet and very grey all day.

It's a strange feeling having the bike lent over to the left as you pedal up the road, stranger still when you are taking a right bend.

Intend to get a quick 4 hrs sleep then out again to Bairnsdale to catch midday train back which will give me options for tomorrow PM - maybe Shepparton, Seymour or back down the bay.

Still on my original Durano performance plus tyres. Any truck drivers reading this needing several winch/buckles for the side tarps on their 18 wheelers (up to 30 now on the doubles) just have a look on the hard shoulder 10 kms either side of Moe.

Can't sleep anymore as nearby passenger doesn't seem to comprehend 'noise gain' technology built into both the phone and the network for several generations of equipment. "I'll just shout into the phone".

"It is soooo cold in Gippsland. Made it as far as Trafalgar, but wet to the skin and 1 degree C, when your pushing 30+ kph means you freeze. The interchangeable mud guards (fenders in the USA) are of course on the other bike, some pommy idiot forgot to swap them over when changing bikes. So water in my boots and everywhere else. Currently stuffing my face at BK's Takeaway(local cafe) with a giant bacon and egg roll.

Managed to rack up 130 miles this morning and currently I'm awaiting train home by 9.30 am, then out again by 10.30. This means I miss the 4 hrs sleep I was looking forward to, on the train from Bairnsdale." ‪#‎GoMiles‬

It's dashed unsporting of these competitors of Steve's, trying to make us feel sorry for them.....

Go all three of them. Just Steve a bit more than the others.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Go Miles

Sounds like a typical summer day in Manchester

Top Bottom