205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well good.!
But have you checked out his max speed, 71 mph?
Balls of stealing.
I hadn't noticed that, that's pretty quick on a Raleigh!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 196: Kurt rides 225 miles along familiar roads. Steve does a 214 mile variant of his fenland loop and Miles heads back down the bay for 136 miles.

oyttDay196.png

It will be a weekly update next week as Jo is off on holibobs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 197: Kurt sticks largely to the edge of the lake of 213 miles. Steve does a 200 mile loop to the east of MK. Miles back up and down the bay for a 135 mile total.

oyttDay197.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 198: Kurt does another shoreline based ride for 223 miles. Steve heads NW for 167 miles in advance of the Mersey 24 time trial starting on Saturday. Miles rides north out of Melbourne, and then back again for a 174 mile total. Tommy continued to put in big days with 314 miles on the 17th July 1939.

oyttDay198.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 199: Kurt attempts to dodge a storm with a bit of driving but manages to ride 212 miles up to the penisula. Steve completes 167 miles by midnight as part of the Mersey Roads 24 hour TT. Miles back to the bay with a 121 mile ride.

oyttDay199.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 200: Strong crosswinds keep Kurt to the shoreline in his 225 mile ride. He reports some breathing problems when riding the recumbent so sticks with the upright. Steve completes his Mersey 24TT with another 154 miles from midnight. Miles does another 130 mile trip along the bayside.

oyttDay200.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Breaking news, Miles doesn't like Steve!!!

Go Miles
8zlCDd7hVYv.png
feeling frozen in Rye, Victoria

1 hr ·
Day 31 "I hate Steve in the UK....He could have initiated the HAM'R challenge last year, one of Melbourne's mildest (in regard to weather). Yesterday was the coldest in Melbourne in 18 years, only 0.6 degrees C above zero, today its half a degree C warmer.

Temperature inversion, zero cloud cover. Radio announcers were warning listeners not to pour boiling water on car door locks and windscreens. It felt like what I remember as a summer's day whilst on holiday in Blackpool.

For the pas two days I rode only when the weak insipid sun was shining, but I have caught up on sleep. Wearing so much wet/cold weather gear slows me down on the bike, with a knock on effect re sleep. During the abandoned bung lung attempt the hail was so bad it removed skin on both my ears. As I said - I hate Steve's timing on reigniting the HAM'R challenge

To answer a couple of questions - what's the weirdest thing that's happens so far? That's an easy one. Riding towards South Frankston travelling north, I could see traffic flashing their lights (it was dark) and horns blaring at the junction with Tanti Ave. I rode past but turned to see a little old Lady sat on an immobile mobility scooter half way across the pedestrian/zebra crossing. Traffic streaming past her on both sides and her head moving to and fro as one of those clown heads into which you throw balls at a fair ground. I jumped off the bike, nipped back and pushed her off (the crossing not the scooter - you guys). Traffic continuing to stream by with side windows down and a few choice words shouted put by car drivers. Turns out she had run out of battery power and had been on the crossing for a while. Rang RACV and they sent a battery van and police to keep an eye on Doris, given ‪#‎Frankston‬ was just up the way. Jumped back on my bike and got going again.

Good news for fellow riders down on the insular peninsular - new bike shop opening in ‪#‎Rye‬, Rye Bike Shop. That means the excellent Giant Bicycles Australia retailer in ‪#‎Rosebud‬ Freewheeling Cycles will no longer be the last place to turn go to before you hit that wonderfully smooth bike lane from Rye to half way to ‪#‎Sorrento‬. ‪#‎GoMiles‬

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Little article you may or may not be interested in HERE

And this is Alicias response

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
26 mins ·
Kurt and I live in our own little world focused on getting this done, so it is interesting to read what is being written, someone else's view on what we are doing. This competition is about MILES. Elevation gain, weather, road conditions, sponsorships, support crew, location, media coverage, etc... are all time and tactics in the overall strategy of taking on this monumental feat. We do the best we can with what we have, laugh a lot, but most important: Keep Kurt on his bike and ride! We are getting it done. - Alicia

Top Bottom