205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blimey I didn't realise he'd done so few miles :tongue:

Are there any rules about how quickly the evidence of the milage has to be uploaded? He's not sneakily doing 250 mile days every day and won't upload them till November will he? :smile:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Are there any rules about how quickly the evidence of the milage has to be uploaded? He's not sneakily doing 250 mile days every day and won't upload them till November will he? :smile:
24hrs I believe, although there appear to have been a couple of instances where glitches have occurred and rides have been uploaded later, I would imagine following frantic phone calls to the powers that be). You may of course be correct and Mr Ironox has played us all for mugs, I'm pretty sure however that he's just an arse who should do the right thing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place
Day 186: Kurt rides 250 miles north to the Michigan border. Steve does a large loop of Cambridge for a 184 mile total. Miles does the bay a couple of times for 206 miles.

oyttDay186.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Steve's FB Page

Steve Abraham Steve's plan is still to try and pass Tommy Godwin's mileage by year end. He realises the 'audacity' of the task, but at this point he's still willing to give it everything he has. He is likely to start running a concurrent (new) record attempt next month, so that he still gives himself a full 12 months to see what he is truly capable of. That's the plan thus far. Regards, Steve's Support Team.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So another 50 odd miles short of the daily required distance.

Is this the most futile effort ever seen?

This from Facebook the other day, apparently they have a plan.

Pete AbrahamHad you not better crack out some even bigger monsterous mileage to make this attempt barely possible? Your are way behind now after that lummux ballsed up your ride that morning and I thought you were restarting? Still a good effort though but you need some seroius catch up plan to be at least trailing with Kurt who is doing well and has 10 days to play with........is it really possible now?Under the cirmustances after what happened,given the volume of traffic these days and weather we had in the winter, I think what has be done so far is an amazing achievement and very honurable in itself..!
Like · Reply · 1 July at 00:47

Steve AbrahamTrust us Pete, we are still on track - Hoppo
Like · 3 · 2 July at 11:44

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
How very mysterious!

His target now must be something like 260+ miles per day to catch up?
It'd need to be something like that. I think what the two of them are doing is remarkable (as I suspect do we all) but it does strike me as a little odd when Steve rides a 250 miler which is a little under what he needs to tie, and then rides a 200 the next day which is a lot under what he needs, but if they say they have a plan then maybe they do. My thoughts are that despite what's being said they're not really thinking they can get the record on this challenge but are starting to ramp it up so Steves flying for the challenge which looks like it's going to start in August.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 187: Steve does a loopy tour around the Cambridgeshire fens for a 251 mile total. Miles makes a 175 mile trip from Albury, north of Melbourne. Nothing posted by Kurt so far.

oyttDay187.png

Day 188: After the previous day in the north of Wisconsin, Kurt heads south for 235 miles. An early start for Steve sees him making a King's Lynn loop for 218 miles. Miles has problems with his GPS upload but covers approximately 128 miles.

oyttDay188.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yep as if what he's already doing (ankle and all) isn't amazing enough.... if he somehow gets the record (and yes, I'm still very sceptical), he deserves a knighthood.
I'd say he deserves more that that, I'd give him the big one;

Sports Personality Of The Year!!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

Day 187: Steve does a loopy tour around the Cambridgeshire fens for a 251 mile total. Miles makes a 175 mile trip from Albury, north of Melbourne. Nothing posted by Kurt so far.

oyttDay187.png

Day 188: After the previous day in the north of Wisconsin, Kurt heads south for 235 miles. An early start for Steve sees him making a King's Lynn loop for 218 miles. Miles has problems with his GPS upload but covers approximately 128 miles.

oyttDay188.png

Kurt showing a steady climb against the average line, that's some good solid pedalin' right there.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
He does seem to have set on a successful formula. I notice he decided not to ride RAAM which he was thinking of earlier in the year, and also seems to have knocked the 12 hr TTs on the head. I think he's realised how much focus he needs on the HAM'R. Go Kurt! :smile:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
He does seem to have set on a successful formula. I notice he decided not to ride RAAM which he was thinking of earlier in the year, and also seems to have knocked the 12 hr TTs on the head. I think he's realised how much focus he needs on the HAM'R. Go Kurt! :smile:
Agreed, towards the start of the year he seemed to be having a few wobbles with motivation and I wondered whether he would last the course, but he doesn't seem to be having any such problems now and is totally focused on the challenge.

Top Bottom