205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This was posted by one of Steves followers on Strava and is apparently something which Steve had posted elsewhere.

"Still recovering from a broken ankle. In theory I should now only just be thinking about cycling. I was told at least 6 to 8 weeks before my ankle is fully weight bearing. I still need to be careful with it. I still can't use clipless pedals with my right leg but in spite of that am getting faster than I was in March and almost on the same mileage. 100 miles a day was a good day about 3 weeks ago. Now I am averaging 200, who knows what I could be doing in another 3 weeks?

I'm not going to get straight into the schedule without being recovered or without doing the riding to get my speed up. So taking it a bit easy today and hope to do more miles this week than last weeks 1400. Mileage and speed has continued to rise and with good recovery and done right it should continue to rise. I am also trying a different approach to what I was doing in January and February. I started doing it before the broken ankle and it seemed to work well and seems to be working well now. "

This was posted by one of Steves followers on Strava and is apparently something which Steve had posted elsewhere.
I confess I've not been as "obsessed" with every day's progress since the collision, but a quick search on YACF confirms that Steve posted that update yesterday morning.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place
Day 152: Flooding continues to keep Kurt up and down a small segment of the roads for 230 miles. Steve has a relatively easy 140 mile day with a couple of Marsh Gibbon visits thrown in for good measure.

oyttDay152.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 154: Repeated trips along the five mile strip of the Arkansas river trail gives Kurt 245 miles for the day and takes him beyond Billie Fleming's 1938 record. Steve returns from Lowestoft for a 212 mile total.

oyttDay154.png

fimm

Veteran
OK, ladies, who is going for the women's record?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This may be a stupid question, but apart from the date being obvious, isn't it a poor choice to start and, particularly, finish in Winter?

It's been discussed before on this thread or the other one..
You would think so. Winter/Summer/Winter rather then Summer/Winter/Summer, but don't underestimate Steve, he's no mere mortal. Weather or day/night means nothing to him. He just cycles. He battled through some horrendous conditions earlier this year with no problems. Only being accidentally offed by another cyclist who was riding with him and of course the moped incident.

fimm

Veteran
That bell-ringing story is brilliant!
(Basically a bunch of people on YACF got together to ring a "quarter peal" (no, me neither) at Marsh Gibbon church, to celebrate Steve's achievement (I think they started planning before he was hit by the moped rider, and decided to do it anyway)).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They did. I was talking to one of the organisers on an audax last month. the church in Marsh Gibbon has 5 bells, which makes the peel more complicated apparently.

On the January question, it depends on strategy. In some ways the plan is to ride your way into fitness, so starting in winter and building up the daily totals through the dark months means you can go really crazy in the summer, then hang on for the end through the end of the year. Another advantage is you get two half winters to ride through, rather than having to ride a whole on in one go. Whenever you start the ride you are going to get the same number of days in each season anyway.

Top Bottom