205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This guy is a few spokes short of a full wheel.
Nothing to do with envy of a cyclist of extraordinary ability, then?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
[QUOTE 3460208, member: 9609"]aye, he's clearly mad, but I like his kind of madness, and will be following his progress.

Clearly he is doing this as a calendar year which probably makes the most sense, but, if you were going to try some similar 365 day challenge, what time of year would you start and finish at ? heading into the dark days and wet roads next november is going to be really tough. I think I would have set off first day autumn and got the bad stuff over with first[/QUOTE]
Apparently the rules are that you start on the 1st Jan and finish on the 31st December.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
View attachment 76134

Yup, that's what proves he loves to ride.

(I assume one of his nice donors paid this for him)

I had a look a the donors' list on the website, one or two names I recognise from volunteering at London Edinburgh London, and one or two I recognise from here.

Looks like there's about 80 who are making a monthly standing order, so he might have £1,000 or so coming in regularly.

The sponsorship pages looks a bit beefier as well, although one doesn't know the extent of the support.

I'm keeping my powder dry for the moment, but might throw in a few shillings if he hits the financial buffers later in the year.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If he just rode round and round the village where he lives he wouldn't need all the support structure- he could set off every day after an early breakfast, nip home for lunch and tea and sleep in his own bed, stop at the shops for milk and back to his shed when he gets a puncture.... plan without fault.

Archie_tect

[QUOTE 3460208, member: 9609"]aye, he's clearly mad, but I like his kind of madness, and will be following his progress.

Clearly he is doing this as a calendar year which probably makes the most sense...[/QUOTE]
2016 being a Leap Year would've given him a day off... missed a trick there.

Archie_tect

You should remind him that cycling isn't boring at 3.17pm on the 27th October ... I'm sure he'll agree.

Brandane

Legendary Member
There is good reason why the record has stood so long. This bit I just don't understand though is the mentality of the naysayers.
As someone else upthread said, it's just as well we are all different or we would all be out attempting this record. I just don't see the point in this, so won't be joining in with the hero worshipping. I do however wish him good luck as it is a monumental challenge. Just a slightly pointless one!

U

User6179

As someone else upthread said, it's just as well we are all different or we would all be out attempting this record. I just don't see the point in this, so won't be joining in with the hero worshipping. I do however wish him good luck as it is a monumental challenge. Just a slightly pointless one!

Don't you think that cycling that distance would be up there or even surpass say climbing Mount Everest , reaching the north pole , any other cycling record out there .

For the record I don't think he will do it but if he did it would be some record ,I fear fatigue will get him at some point and under doctors orders he will stop .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Steve is a friend to a lot of people here and many of us have cycled with him at one time or another and are helping to support his challenge. If that's hero worship.. then so be it.

Top Bottom