1976, police warning for short mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
This is correct!
I was gifted a Rudge Whitworth with such a panel painted out. Their grandad used it during the war for poaching, and didn’t want to be noticed :-)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cycling Manual 22nd edition. 1950:

1721030873081.jpeg

1721030917222.jpeg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The reason I raised the white patch thing above was that perhaps it implied that mudguards were mandatory. After all if you must have a patch on your mudguards, then you must have mudguards, no?

Seemingly not. According to the book posted by @youngoldbloke above you were required to have a 12 sq in patch and "a white mudguard will meet the case" but it doesn't necessarily have to be a mudguard. If you have something else that "meets the case" (dunno what - a white square with side 3.46" would do) then you don't need to have mudguards.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The reason I raised the white patch thing above was that perhaps it implied that mudguards were mandatory. After all if you must have a patch on your mudguards, then you must have mudguards, no?

Seemingly not. According to the book posted by @youngoldbloke above you were required to have a 12 sq in patch and "a white mudguard will meet the case" but it doesn't necessarily have to be a mudguard. If you have something else that "meets the case" (dunno what - a white square with side 3.46" would do) then you don't need to have mudguards.

In the diagram above, the other option is to have a white disc fitted instead.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
At that time I think it was it was accepted that all bikes were fitted with mudguards anyway, except perhaps bikes customised for racing. It was unthinkable that bikes came any other way. Why not? It was the sensible thing to do. All the ads for bikes in the Manual - sporting or otherwise were shown with mudguards, some easily removable for racing.

Venod

Eh up
Built my first bike in the 60's, bought my first Raleigh with drop bars mid 60's with money earned from working the harvest while still at school, mudguards never featured, started using full length guards for winter club runs early seventies.

Top Bottom