1976, police warning for short mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
No, IIRC in 1976 it was just lights and reflectors, which were typically mudguard mounted. I don't remember pedal reflectors being a thing back then. Plus working brakes.

It wasn't until the 80s when weirdness like spoke reflectors and pedal reflectors burst onto the scene. About the same time as suicide levers and spoke protectors (dork disks). I'm not sure what drove that sudden change.

Of course I could have muddled all that up and it may be cobblers.

Pedal reflectors became compulsory in ‘84, IIRC. My ‘83 Dawes does not need them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I can see there are some disbelievers, but I tell you the truth. Back in the 60’s a woman was cast out by society if she had a child (bastard). The kids ended up in children’s homes and the local residents didn’t want bastard kids living near them. I was one of those kids !!!
The 60’s was the end of that period when people thought like that. Trouble is the local residents and coppers were not youngsters themselfs so they where stuck in their ways😥
I was locked up when I was 14 yrs old, because I was in the care system, they did not have to take you to court to lock you up, they owned the lock up!!
My crime, was not getting on with the officer in charge of the home I was in 🙄
Surprising what was going on back then and how people constantly turned a blind eye.

It is true, to an extent, things were different in the 1960s (I was 13 at beginning of the 60s), but, I am quite sure that sex outside of marriage started a while before the 60s.

Given the "baby boom" after WW2, I would guess that the age profile of the population in the 60s was generally younger than present day (when the "boomers", like me, are in their 70s).

Slick

Guru
Reading your story had me thinking about how ridiculous that was, then I remembered evading them one night on a chopper. :laugh:

I honestly can't remember what I was doing wrong, probably the ever readies had run dry on my lights or something but I remember the van hitting the blue lights and pointing at me, which was enough for me to scarper across a green then disappearing up the back road of a school. I could just make out the top of the van cruising by, its lights by this time switched off but sticking above the wall like a sharks fin.

They obviously recognised me as they came to my house the next day to give me a warning. I still remember how conflicted my old man was, as he was mad at 14 I was bringing cops to the house, but immediately sent me back out on my bike as he wasn't letting anyone spoil my fun. It was only a small town and the next time I saw the cops that day was when they appeared suddenly from a junction as I was pulling a wheelie. :laugh:

I think they gave up at that point.

I vaguely remember in my early club days (Late sixties) an older member saying that mudguards were a legal requirement. Whether that was true back then or ever had been I have no idea.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got vague memories of reading about there being a requirement in the '30s (or maybe during the war/blackout) to have a while patch on your rear mudguard. Which would kind of imply that there was once a requirement to have a mudguard to paint a while patch on.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I vaguely remember in my early club days (Late sixties) an older member saying that mudguards were a legal requirement. Whether that was true back then or ever had been I have no idea.

I joined Solihull CC late 50's. Never heard of this. Don't think guards would have fitted my 'best' bike, and I don't remember fitting them to my winter fixed, which was converted from a 3 speed Raleigh tourer

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've got vague memories of reading about there being a requirement in the '30s (or maybe during the war/blackout) to have a while patch on your rear mudguard. Which would kind of imply that there was once a requirement to have a mudguard to paint a while patch on.

This is correct!

Fastpedaller

Über Member
I can see there are some disbelievers, but I tell you the truth. Back in the 60’s a woman was cast out by society if she had a child (bastard).

I recall another lad at school who's Father was a Captain in the Navy (but he and his Mum lived in a tiny Council house). At that age I didn't see what the situation really was, and I guess my Parents knew but didn't say (quite right as well). I hope folk are more understanding now, although I still think there is probably an undercurrent, and there is still racism.

Reactions: C R

Chris S

Legendary Member
Oh how times have changed, back in 1976 I got pulled over by the police for using short mudguards and no bottom section of my chain guard. I was reported by them and had to attend Camberley police station for a verbal warning!

I970's Raleigh Choppers came out of the factory without bottom sections on their chain guards. Most of their bikes did by then. And the Chopper had a short front mudguard as standard.

062707b999a8dcedd5e2f4fbbd8e89d5.jpg

Top Bottom