How much does your council charge for green bin (garden waste) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Also - how do you get a couple of bags of garden waste to the dump without a car anyway?

It’s not the council’s problem to sort your garden waste for you. If you don’t have a car, ask a friend or neighbour for a favour. I do that for a neighbour of mine if his won’t fit in my bin.

and- as said before - start charging and the amount of fly tipping rises

That’s a poor excuse for bad behaviour. Garden waste disposal is free at council sites here but even then people will dump it at the roadside, so it’s more about laziness than cost.

Alex321

Veteran
It is free to take it in a car
Often pedestrians and cyclists (etc) are not allowed in the dump - only cars and vans

Also - how do you get a couple of bags of garden waste to the dump without a car anyway?
You don't.

If you don't have a car, then you are probably going to have to pay what they ask.

and on a point about waste - if I have a green bin I just lob the grass (etc) into it and it gets taken away
To take it to the tip I need to put it into bin bags - normally takes 3 for both lawns
Hence 3 plastic bags being used that need not be

We have the canvas bags issued by the council, which are reusable. Three of them pretty well fill the back of my estate car.

and- as said before - start charging and the amount of fly tipping rises

True, but inexcusable. You can't get the stuff to where you might fly tip it without a car, so you might as well take it to the council centre, it is unlikely to cost much more in either fuel or time.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ours are free (well, charged in with normal collections), collected every fortnight. Stops for winter (think it's November-March as Sterlo says).
Brown bins, green are recycling and black is normal waste.

£39 per bin is ridiculous! I wouldn't pay that, I'd just have a very large compost heap! :biggrin:

We've got three large compost areas at the allotment, two larger compost heaps at home, AND we still need a garden waste collection bin at £62 a year - which is usually full every collection!

Possibly we need fewer plants!

classic33

Leg End Member
£48, £46 if paid online.
Every two weeks between March and November. Runs for only eight months a year, on a 12 month contract.

dicko

Guru
Garden waste and food waste collected every two weeks here in Derby from April to November. November to April every fourth week. No extra charge it’s all in with the Council Tax.

stephec

Legendary Member
Until reading this thread I never knew that charging extra on top of your council tax was a thing.

Salford council have a blue bin for paper/cardboard, a pink bin for garden/food waste, grey bin for general rubbish, and a brown bin for beer bottles and cans, I think you can put other kinds of metal and glass in the brown one as well if you need to.

Alex321

Veteran
Until reading this thread I never knew that charging extra on top of your council tax was a thing.
It is only for garden waste. Which they are not required to collect, unlike the others.
Salford council have a blue bin for paper/cardboard, a pink bin for garden/food waste, grey bin for general rubbish, and a brown bin for beer bottles and cans, I think you can put other kinds of metal and glass in the brown one as well if you need to.
What gets me is that there seem to be as many combination as there are councils.

We lived in thre different council areas over the space of a year.
Merthyr Tydfil had one bag for paper and cardboard, one for plastic, one for metal & glass, each a different colour.
Rhondda Cynon Taff's just had two clear bags, one for paper & cardboard, one for all other recyclables. The bags are taken away, you get supplied with new ones on request.
And Vale of Glamorgan have one bag for paper, one for cardboard, one for plastic & metal, plus a box for glass. All plastic canvas bags which are emptied into appropriate compartments and returned.

All also have a caddy for food waste, and black bags for non recyclables.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
£62.99/year in Swindon. This is rather expensive given most people don't need it in winter. And they wonder why everyone gravels over their gardens.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
About £60

I compost soft waste but woody stuff and autumn leaves are a problem. I only have a small garden but I have two small trees that I cut back each year plus hedge and shrub trimmings. I used to shred these which was a monumental PITA. It's worth £60 just to be free of that. The shredder has been unused for the past few years. Should really get rid of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom