How much does your council charge for green bin (garden waste) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I live about a mile from the carncil HQ offices. In the event of such a dispute I'd wheel my bin down there and leave the contents neatly stacked in their reception. I would, of course, notify the local chipwrapper in advance of my plan and invite others to join me.

It's been threatened many times on a local Facebook group. I don't believe anyone's actually done it yet.

tom73

Guru
I live about a mile from the carncil HQ offices. In the event of such a dispute I'd wheel my bin down there and leave the contents neatly stacked in their reception. I would, of course, notify the local chipwrapper in advance of my plan and invite others to join me.

Reminds me of one time my Dad went to local council office to pay the weeks rent. An old bloke came in carrying a bucket of sand when he got to the counter. He explained a council workman had left it when he'd down some repairs to his house. The women behind the counter told him to leave it in front of the counter. He then tipped the whole lot over the floor, she looked a bit shocked he then told her it was his bucket. He then calmly walked out.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No charge here in South Lanarkshire, we have a burgundy bin for food waste, garden waste can be uplifted in black bags.
No one in my street uses the food waste bins anymore, the smell was vile, so I have been using them to make leaf compost.
I made 3 compost bays from pallets in the field next to our communal back garden, all the neighburgs with a garden give me their waste ^_^
When land services cut the grass in the scheme, they just leave the cuttings behind, looks horrid.
Sometimes I rake it up for my compost bins ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
It's been threatened many times on a local Facebook group. I don't believe anyone's actually done it yet.

There was someone in MK, IIRC, who dumped and elderly relative in a wheelchair in the council offices reception over a dispute over caregivers. Not ideal for the poor old boy concerned, but it's amazing how quickly the council pulled their finger out when it suddenly became a fate accompli.

Free here for the first bin, collected every fortnight throughout the year. Second bin needs to be paid for, but dunno how much it is as I've never needed one.

The advantage of living where I do, there's plenty of space to pile up stuff I don't want till it rots down. Wheelie bin typically gets used for anything spiky, conifer clippings and any small green twiggy stuff that's not suitable for kindling. Any woody stuff thicker than a thumb ends up feeding the heating.

I have a compost bin for weeds, wood ashes and kitchen peelings.

Failing that, there's the recycling centre just up the road in Witchford.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It might be annoying that some councils now charge for removing garden waste but that was always a bonus for the resident. It’s not covered by your council tax and is an extra cost for the councils. Since it isn’t a statutory obligation for them to remove it, unlike household and food waste, they can charge for it.

Anyone who doesn’t want to pay can take their own garden waste to the dump at their own convenience. It’s free.

icowden

Veteran
Anyone who doesn’t want to pay can take their own garden waste to the dump at their own convenience. It’s free.
And frequently dumped where it should not be.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It might be annoying that some councils now charge for removing garden waste but that was always a bonus for the resident. It’s not covered by your council tax and is an extra cost for the councils. Since it isn’t a statutory obligation for them to remove it, unlike household and food waste, they can charge for it.

Yes but doesn't GCC make compost to sell with the green waste collected?

It is free to take it in a car
Often pedestrians and cyclists (etc) are not allowed in the dump - only cars and vans

Also - how do you get a couple of bags of garden waste to the dump without a car anyway?

and on a point about waste - if I have a green bin I just lob the grass (etc) into it and it gets taken away
To take it to the tip I need to put it into bin bags - normally takes 3 for both lawns
Hence 3 plastic bags being used that need not be

and- as said before - start charging and the amount of fly tipping rises

Top Bottom