How much does your council charge for green bin (garden waste) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Regular waste in bins & sacks is covered by the council tax, special collections for big items like old washing machine etc are charged.
There was a recent notice about cracking down on rubbish put on the pavement next to the bin.

icowden

Veteran
Interestingly, I asked about a second one a couple of years ago but was told no in no uncertain terms. We fill ours with a single lawn cut so can only do it once a fortnight.

We can have a second but it's the same price as the first. So £130 for two bins.

Drago

Legendary Member
50 sovs. I already pay £2700 in carncil tax so find an extra fee highly objectionable.

That being the case and garden waste gets disguised and smuggled into the dustbin in small doses.

Dadam

50 sovs. I already pay £2700 in carncil tax so find an extra fee highly objectionable.

That being the case and garden waste gets disguised and smuggled into the dustbin in small doses.

@Drago in front of the town hall:
The_Great_Escape_6_11_Movie_CLIP_How_to_Get_Rid_of_the_Dirt_1963_HD.gif

Emanresu

Just been told it's going up from £55 (it was £35 a few years ago) to £81. If you take rubble to the 'amenity' site is £5 per small bag. A lot of the lay-bys locally are full of fly tipped rubbish. I wonder if it is connected.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Used to be "free" (ie included with Council Tax), but, it has been chargeable for several years now.

2024-25 it is £35.35 per bin for fortnightly collection between April and November.

Council Tax for 2024-25 is £2197.

It has just come to light that (the now ex) Leader of the Council has been treating himself using his Council Credit card https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg0v285q00o. Needless to say, he has not been prosecuted and, the Chief Executive Officer has resigned, and moved on to be incompetent at another LA, no doubt.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
No charge in North Tyneside, currently.

£40 in South Tyneside, where there's been a dispute since November about bin collections, numerous strikes and no sign of reconciliation.

They missed the last two garden collections last year because of this so I'll not be bothering to pay again.

tom73

Guru
Ours is included in general CT collected march-november but unlike the other recycling. You can't have more than one bin or leave out side waste.

Drago

Legendary Member
No charge in North Tyneside, currently.

£40 in South Tyneside, where there's been a dispute since November about bin collections, numerous strikes and no sign of reconciliation.

They missed the last two garden collections last year because of this so I'll not be bothering to pay again.

I live about a mile from the carncil HQ offices. In the event of such a dispute I'd wheel my bin down there and leave the contents neatly stacked in their reception. I would, of course, notify the local chipwrapper in advance of my plan and invite others to join me.

Top Bottom