Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

can’t not do without gas currently . Even this time of year , I’m heating water. Would have been possible I guess to divert excess solar, have a feeling I’d be peeing in the wind keeping on top of it . However that’s due to a busy household whom shower etc at different times of the day .

I've a box of tricks that detects excess solar generation (ie anytime I'm exporting) and just diverts that excess to the immersion heater. Then just set the boiler to top up hot water in the event it's not up to temp by midday (ie cloudy day). Hardly use any gas this time of year.
Whilst I agree to an extent , our lack of investment in nuclear power means we can’t just switch !

Due in part to NIMBY'ism. Sizewell 'C' has been in the planning stages for I can't remember how long. I disagree with it's location (next to internationally recognised bird reserve) but it does need to be built somewhere, and even if they start building today it's going to be 15-20 years before it's on-line. Govt's are only interested in the next 4 years (max) until the next general election, and hence any long term projects just drift aimlessly for years and years. Whether you agree or not, just look at HS2 as another example, or London cross rail etc etc etc.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Are the extortionate (Shell for me) standing charges also being reduced?
Or are we getting platinum gas pipes/leccy wires??

Just had my latest statement from Octopus too and I am 24 pounds in credit. ^_^ Hopefully it will build up before the cold weather returns but I'm sure it won't be enough to last all winter and they will ask me again for another monthly payment increase. :sad:

icowden

Veteran
Just had my latest statement from Octopus too and I am 24 pounds in credit. ^_^ Hopefully it will build up before the cold weather returns but I'm sure it won't be enough to last all winter and they will ask me again for another monthly payment increase. :sad:

I hope not. I've just requested to reduce mine from £355 to £300. I'm currently £200 in credit.

icowden

Veteran
We're nearly £300 in credit & only paying £40 a month
:eek: HOW?

You must have solar and a small wind farm right?
Or do you live in a shoe box?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've just got a fixed deal, but I couldn't be arsed to look around for a cheaper deal so now stuck with this one :sad:
Electricity
Next Loyalty Fixed v4
Fixed term ends 22/06/2024
29.98 p/kWh 43.57 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)
Gas
Next Loyalty Fixed v4
Fixed term ends 22/06/2024
7.48 p/kWh 23.08 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

D

Deleted member 26715

:eek: HOW?

You must have solar and a small wind farm right?
Or do you live in a shoe box?
Yeah to only have a £40PM you have to spend £10K lol, no idea if the sums will ever work themselves out, but logically at some point they will.

Electricity companies are stupid.

I moved into my flat in August, and agreed to continue the same amount of direct debit as the previous occupant, who lived here through late winter/early spring.

My logic being, if he was paying that in Feb/March/April - and I was able to check his saved settings on the heater's memories as being about what I'll be using - and left with nothing outstanding, then the same amount will enable me to judge my levels of usage, get a feel for the efficiency of the heating and insulation and build up a small amount of credit for any sudden cold snaps, THEN I can think about altering the DD.

I've just had 2 emails from OVO telling me that due to my (low) level of usage (in AUGUST and SEPTEMBER ffs) they are reducing my DD by 50%. They are STUPID and their smartmeter isn't smart. If they had the intelligence of a crow, they would know that usage is at its lowest levels in summer, and if their smartmeter were, actually, 'smart', it would've seen that in the past couple of weeks, my electricity consumption is clearly increasing and by the next bill will be - by my estimation - approaching 70 - 75% of the DD's amount, and for the next several months is only likely to increase further. Any reduction should be 25% at most, MAYBE a little more after another few months and seeing what my usage is like.

Bah humbug!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just do monthly meter readings, log into your account and update them. Whilst at it, there is a Direct Debit Manager page where you can adjust the amount ! All done. Took my supplier over a year to bring my rate down when we really looked at electric consumption and cut it massively.

Top Bottom