Council Intensifies its War On Cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was stopped here once, right where the guy in grey is walking, I got off with a warning for some reason :-/

Last edited:
I don't really disagree with that, provided...

1. The reasons for the order are evidence based, and not just a response to moaning. Only a court should grant an order, and they should be demanding compelling actual evidence, and not merely accepting hysteria and anecdote as justification.

2. The penalty is appropriate.

3. Those that caused the original problem are targeted, and not just easy pickings like pensioners tootling along who were never a risk or problem in the firet place.

4. Enforcement is left to the police, and not council appointed nobodies with a Hitler complex. Of course, the carncil won't like that as unlike the dibble they get to keep the income.

It's more about the manner in which it is being done, rather than the fact that it is being done.

exactly

Fredo76

Über Member
I was stopped in Oxford on Cornmarket Street once - timed restriction and it was less than an hour on the wrong side.
View attachment 723537

No fine, though, the council guy who approached me approached me because I was riding at walking pace. Meanwhile the deliveroo chap who went flying past at 15 mph? No attempt made to stop him - it would have been futile.

Had the council chap tried to fine me I'd probably just have ridden off at 20 mph, though. :laugh:

Yes, we know the letter of the law, but frankly I'm more likely to shin somebody with a pedal if I'm dismounted and walking in cleats, rather than riding in a pedestrian manner.

The law also says that you must not ride on these hatchings. One would hope a bit of common sense would be applied.
View attachment 723538
Hopefully they don't fine you for blocking traffic while reading the signs. Sheese!

I mean, they weren't particularly noticeable slogging up the hill at 10 mph... They do serve some purpose in that hard shoulders aren't actually particularly regulated on an all purpose road, so in theory legal to park or even drive on (as they're not part of the carriageway, they're not part of a clearway unless it's a red route or otherwise stated).

Bike lanes/symbols, there's really no logic to it tbh on trunk roads. At a guess they wouldn't want to encourage cycling here ;).
View attachment 723570
(The motorway ending there is the M25)
Does the blue sign mean "No bridges. Violator ahead."?

I was stopped here once, right where the guy in grey is walking, I got off with a warning for some reason :-/
Nearly on top of the bicycle symbol?

Confusing rules; confusing signs! How about:

Cyclists
4 MPH
Strictly
Enforced

OTOH, we have a rising bollard over here, too.

Hopefully they don't fine you for blocking traffic while reading the signs. Sheese!

Does the blue sign mean "No bridges. Violator ahead."?

Nearly on top of the bicycle symbol?

Confusing rules; confusing signs! How about:

Cyclists
4 MPH
Strictly
Enforced

OTOH, we have a rising bollard over here, too.

WOnderful when an ebike has a "walk assist" which has to stop at 6 mph!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

Drago

Legendary Member
If that's the case the PCSO stopped you unlawfully. They don't have general powers to stop vehicles like a copper, and can only stop vehicles when being supervised by a police officer. The exception is they have a power to stop vehicles being used in an antisocial manner, which you clearly weren't if riding lawfully on a cycleway.

So an unlawful stop, and an infringement of your ECHR article 8 rights. Complain!

Reactions: mjr

rydabent

Veteran
It is enforcing a "complete ban"

so CLEARLY this was just an example fine and there is a similar fine for EVERY SINGLE other person found riding on that section of road

Apparently there are no longer ANY people riding bikes on that pedestrianised area

no a one

every one has been caught

other wise CLEARLY tit would not be enforcing a complete ban

I would be interested in their enforcement procedures as every other counsel that has tried this has ended up just grabbing those fairly law abiding and sensible cyclists that were going slowly and were the type that stop when a uniformed person says so

and the young lads in black hoodies and black jeans that wizz through with no regard to anyone other than themselves have just carried on regardless

but not in this case

No no no - this counsel is enforcing a complete ban

Impressive dedication to public safety this

(post MAY include sarcasm - just in case it was not obvious)

Top Bottom