Council Intensifies its War On Cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

AFAIK these fines come under criminal law so the Fixed Penalty is an invite to pay or go to the Magistrates Court. If they are then they time out after 6 months IF the prosecuting authority don't place papers at the court. So walking away, not co-operating with a name/address or waiting the 6 months would see the issue die.

Drago

Legendary Member
...or waiting the 6 months would see the issue die.

Although they can apply for a Warrant of First Instance, which overrides the 6 month time limit for statutory offences.

That said, the risk is theoretical. I've applied for them over the years and it takes a sheet load of paperwork and a morning in court for each individual one. There's no profit in that for them and no legal means to recoup any time/expenses, so whike the mechanism exists I can't see them trying it.

albion

Guru
Another example, although at least now they are talking about "non co-operation".

https://road.cc/content/news/cyclist-fined-ps100-riding-cycle-path-307633

No, same 'all stick, no carrot' one just discussed. The none co-operation is the sensible tactic for anyone riding sensibly with reason. They are seen as low hanging fruit for the for profit company so no persuasion will prevent the money grab attempt.
Here is one on said company just now provided by Google AI click tracking.
https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.c...ontract-hoped-to-be-fair-and-even-handed.html

I have real doubt that cash strapped councils can cost it any other way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
No, same 'all stick, no carrot' one just discussed. The none co-operation is the sensible tactic for anyone riding sensibly with reason. They are seen as low hanging fruit for the for profit company so no persuasion will prevent the money grab attempt.
Here is one on said company just now provided by Google AI click tracking.
https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.c...ontract-hoped-to-be-fair-and-even-handed.html

I have real doubt that cash strapped councils can cost it any other way.

To be fair, the cyclist proved she was right, so clearly just an over zealous individual employee rather than any council tactic. Its just the hassle you need to go through to get the right result.

albion

Guru

Landsurfer

Veteran
Rotherham Borough Council have taken a different approach … they have spent millions on a new cycle path programme that spans the town and links up with cycle routes to Sheffield. The bright red tarmac and crossings stretch from Wellgate to Tinsley ….
One slight problem … the surface is so rough as to render it unridable .. in areas of housing the drops for house access have sharp sides.
We used them last week and after a mile or so we moved back onto the road …
of course there is already a fantastic tarmac path, with zero traffic between the centre of Rotherham and Sheffield … the canal …. Council seems to have forgotten about that …
I know … dammed if they do dammed if they don’t.

sheddy

Legendary Member
That prompted me to see what LTN1/20 has to say about surfaces

Smooth surfaces seems to be a suggestion rather than a requirement

Last edited:
I can see why a counsel would get a lot of requests (demands??) to ban cyclist from pedestrianised areas

It is not likely to be people who read this forum that are the problem - certainly not the people in the quiet backwaters of the Retirement Thread (although there is one inhabitant that I wonder about!)

But when I go down out high street I see 2 different type of bike being ridden there
a) sensible people riding their bike slowly and being careful to avoud everyone walking and especially kids, old people etc etc
b) "young people" normally probably male - normally wearing black and often with their face covered and even a black hoodie even on a hot summer day - who go through on "mountain bikes" sometimes with a massive battery nailed to some random bit of the frame where it can fit

Type (a) cause no problem
Type (b) are a positive hazard as they expect everyone to get out of the way - or at least expect people to move in a predictable manner so they can ride round them at speed - and I know for certain that my 3 grandkids are not likely to be doing THAT!

So - as usual - people only see the ones they don;t approve of. Like people who say that all BMW/AUDI drivers drive like ****heads - when surveys say that generally they are better drivers - except for a small minority that behave as if they own the road and get noticed.

Anyway - then we get people complaining about the cyclists "who nearly killed my 97 year old gran on her walking frame" and ignore the fact that they was one idiot out of 100 people on bikes that rode down the road that morning.

but they never talk about the old man on a mobility scooter that carved his way through the middle of the street like a container ship through a bridge.

People are weird - and some of them need to get re-elected and get desperate!

Mike_P

Guru
That prompted me to see what LTN1/20 has to say about surfaces

Smooth surfaces seems to be a suggestion rather than a requirement

Most cycle tracks in any case seem to be a local council tick box for lets get some publicity despite being planned by a highway engineer who has never ridden a bike for years. In any case they spend sod all on their upkeep with no sweeping of them, no repainting of worn out markings and no replacement of signs. And people wonder why cyclists ignore them.

Drago

Legendary Member
I hear a few people have been robbed in the area and shoplifting is rampant, yet there is no move to ban pedestrians - even just the known criminals - from the area.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I can see why a counsel would get a lot of requests (demands??) to ban cyclist from pedestrianised areas

It is not likely to be people who read this forum that are the problem - certainly not the people in the quiet backwaters of the Retirement Thread (although there is one inhabitant that I wonder about!)

But when I go down out high street I see 2 different type of bike being ridden there
a) sensible people riding their bike slowly and being careful to avoud everyone walking and especially kids, old people etc etc
b) "young people" normally probably male - normally wearing black and often with their face covered and even a black hoodie even on a hot summer day - who go through on "mountain bikes" sometimes with a massive battery nailed to some random bit of the frame where it can fit

Type (a) cause no problem
Type (b) are a positive hazard as they expect everyone to get out of the way - or at least expect people to move in a predictable manner so they can ride round them at speed - and I know for certain that my 3 grandkids are not likely to be doing THAT!

So - as usual - people only see the ones they don;t approve of. Like people who say that all BMW/AUDI drivers drive like ****heads - when surveys say that generally they are better drivers - except for a small minority that behave as if they own the road and get noticed.

Anyway - then we get people complaining about the cyclists "who nearly killed my 97 year old gran on her walking frame" and ignore the fact that they was one idiot out of 100 people on bikes that rode down the road that morning.

but they never talk about the old man on a mobility scooter that carved his way through the middle of the street like a container ship through a bridge.

People are weird - and some of them need to get re-elected and get desperate!

Whilst I get your point, I'm not sure I agree that type A are always holier than thou, and type B are a positive hazard, especially as you have described a much bigger hazard yourself in the mobility scooter.

Top Bottom