Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wrong thread maybe, but rather proud of my current fettling ^_^
Just fixed the timer for my outside lights. Battery was flat but when I replaced it part of the LCD display (display display, I know :rolleyes:) was out so I couldn't reset it :sad:
Never one to throw stuff in the bin and replace without first attempting a fix so full strip down and removal of LCD from board, clean contacts with IPA (funny kind of rubbery contact strip?) and then reassemble.
Now has full display restored, was missing batt, prog and 1st digit of time before I intervened :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My 'Rover Metro GTa' (posh metro :wacko:) had one of those types of display with the rubbery contact on the radio. The back light failed on it, so couldn't see the station etc, so ordered a tiny 12V bulb, and just 'tied' it in place where the original was, then re-assembled the screen.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I rarely do any car-based stuff any more, although I do have a seemingly uncontrollable urge to get stuck in. Car-before-current was a Skoda Yeti that we had had from new. Great car, just one major warranty claim (new gearbox needed) which I stayed well out of. However one day the wife came in the house and claimed "the boot won't shut". After rolling my eyes and assuming it was user error I went outside and determined after a thorough investigation that the problem was that "the boot won't shut".

However, almost before I knew it the interior trim was off and the errant boot latch was off the car and in my hand. Further to that, since it was a sealed unit which was not working I soon had it opened up and discovered the issue (the plastic worm gear in the screw-linear actuator had sheared). Surprisingly the genuine part from Skoda was only £30, came the next day and I had it fitted in minutes.

Some time later the lock on the fuel filler flap started to misbehave and, again it was soon off the car and replaced (another screw-linear actuator failure). It never occurred to me in either case to take it anywhere for fixing.

I am more hands-on on my motorbike though.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Why do we do that?
Experience?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh and don't get me started on plastic parts.

A cracked plastic part caused a rather "squeaky botty" moment in the outside lane in a heavy rain shower - pop, the wipers stopped. All down to a plastic ball socket, and the 'edge' had cracked, allowing the ball joint to separate. Bought a whole replacement wiper motor, just for the little 'arm' - cheap as chips off ebay.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've yet to open the bonnet on my new to me Focus CMax.

Ought to have a look see just to familiarise myself with where the various fluids are topped up.

And make sure the latch works, although it almost inevitably will.

On the caddy I’ve just installed 2 rear shocks, bump stops, rear discs and pads to get it through it’s MOT.

on the camper in Summer I installed rear air suspension and a 2 din radio, it needs a service that will get done this month, probably will change the front brake pads at the same time.

you can’t beat the satisfaction of completing a job on a vehicle and saving hundreds of £ that you can then go and waste on pointless bits of carbon for your bike :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Back in the 70s it was a Saturday morning ritual for all the guys to get out on the drive ways with a mug of tea and a Haynes manual. Sadly, those days are gone. I have Kia Picanto with 240, 000km on the clock and doesnt go wrong.

Top Bottom