Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Filling air in tyres.

Venod

Eh up
I don't do much on my own car anymore its too new and complicated, but I have the pleasure and pain of the "kids" cars to work on, I have put a new boot handle o the lads Qashqai, sprayed and lacquered by me, and I have to say I was surprised how well it matched.
I did the bonnet lock on the son in laws Focus it was stuck shut, what a pain in the neck, who's stupid idea was that. I have a few programs for the laptop, and have reset warning lights, mainly DPF warnings, but a good blast down the motorway would have done the same.
I don't have the enthusiasm for laying on my back under cars anymore, its usually wet and cold when these jobs need doing and I am just too old now.

Jody

Stubborn git
Just changed the steering rack on my Scud and also fitted a new coolant temp sensor. Work to commence shortly (or be put off :whistle:) is swapping a faulty LPG injector, pair of top mounts and a check over of the lower suspension as there is a slight knock.

Jody

Stubborn git
I used to do all the work on my cars but as I've earned more money and got more feeble I pay others to do it. My days of lying on my back under a car are long gone.

I feel similar as the years go by. Some jobs are now strictly garage only as I can't be arsed getting caught with a problem.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mrs B's I tend to leave alone other than engine bay fluids and exterior stuff. Way too many electricals and sensors for my comfort.*
My Golf pretty much anything if I have the time. Most recently replacing a rear door lock which had jammed, with the door locked and closed. Which made for a sweary few hours.
My Triumph, ground up restoration.
*Edit. Just remembered I have a set of brake pads bought on special offer which will be fitted by me in a few thousand miles.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do most jobs on my car's unless it's too 'heavy', or the part has been on a long time. Pads are fine, although I've twice had the rears done at the local garage as I don't have a winding tool. Had both front ABS rings replaced - pig of a job for the garage as they've been there 18 years.

I've currently got a loose baffle in my exhaust. As the 'zorst' is still in great condition (OE = 18 years), I've found out where it is and I'll be 'sticking it down' - first attempt with expanding glue has helped (drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the muffler, poked in a spoke to find the loose baffle, and squirted a little glue in. Double checked location before drilling by rattling exhaust with my ear to the can. Checking parts lists on line, the 'muffler' that fits my car between manufacturing dates is twice the price of the rest - looks like Nissan altered the part slightly after 4 months of the car being available - I have one of the earliest models - it's 2cm shorter ! I doubt I could change it as exhaust bolts are notorious for being seized.

Fortunately, bulbs are all accessible. Rear clusters need whole lamp assembly removing, but that's two nuts and takes 2 minutes.

As for engine codes, Nissan build in a way of certain ignition key and accelerator presses to run diagnostics, that then flash up a code. - E.g. due to age of connections, I've had air bag lights come on in the past - namely steering wheel and drivers seat. Secret scan, reveals issue, disconnect air bag, liberal spray of contact cleaner, reconnect cable. Re-initiate the 'system scan', light goes out. If it comes back on, you've not cleaned the connector properly. I've also got an ODBC reader and 'torque app' for my phone - that will reset engine warnings if needed, but can't do air bags for safety reasons. Fortunately, the car has self diagnostics. Anyone not knowing these tricks would have paid a fortune going to the garage.

fossyant

I feel similar as the years go by. Some jobs are now strictly garage only as I can't be arsed getting caught with a problem.

My dad is a mechanic by trade, but he stopped doing cars when he retired - plus he can't get under them now - dodgy knees.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I chnaged the oil and filter in my fiesta; I had to borrow my dad's barn/shed and his axle stands so I got filthy.

I also stupidly filled the window washers with a vinegar solution when I'd run out of screen wash. It cleaned them so thoroughly that all the gunk blocked the filter, so had to remove that and clean it. Good job done, but a bit of a faff.

D

Deleted member 26715

I like to work on my cars when I want to, I hate to work on them because I have got to, I remember the old days when I just had to get it finished that night as I needed it to get to work the next day, been known to still be working on them past midnight. After that I always made sure I had 2 forms of transport, either 2 cars, or a motorbike & a car.

fossyant

I like to work on my cars when I want to, I hate to work on them because I have got to, I remember the old days when I just had to get it finished that night as I needed it to get to work the next day, been known to still be working on them past midnight. After that I always made sure I had 2 forms of transport, either 2 cars, or a motorbike & a car.

It's so much better when the weather is good and you want to work on them.

Maybe we should have a 'show us your engine bay' thread - you could eat your dinner off my 18 year old car's engine bay (it's a daily driver too). :laugh:PS I do need locking up. :wacko:

Last edited:

fossyant

:whistle:

Top Bottom