Berlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes but never been asked for it or seen anyone asking either ?!

Same here: I think they've stopped bothering because there isn't much point as travel is essentially free anyway, and trains are rather crowded.

Julia9054

Guru
I've always been surprised in Germany at the apparent lack of checks, barriers etc on public transport. My German friend says that people are generally law abiding and in addition they have undercover ticket inspectors and extremely stiff fines if you are caught.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Got lost in the Haptbahnhoff lol . It’s huge !

It's quite some place isn't it! I got a real feeling of vertigo looking all the way down through the place from the top floor. It's a real impressive piece of architecture.

trains are rather crowded.

Understatement of the year ^_^ I commute daily by train with my folding bike and it's been absolute hell these last three months. The local train company has actually taken to locking the bike carriage at weekends, because of the overcrowding and banned the carriage of normal bikes. (Yes we get a whole lower deck of one carriage for bikes in the summer months.)

I've always been surprised in Germany at the apparent lack of checks, barriers etc on public transport. My German friend says that people are generally law abiding and in addition they have undercover ticket inspectors and extremely stiff fines if you are caught.

Travel regularly and you will see the inspectors, it seems to come in waves, you can go weeks without seeing a guard and then it will be day after day of checks. It's an on the spot fine of 60 Euros without a ticket and you have to show you're identity card to prove you've not given a false name. Failure to comply and the guards will call the police. They also operate a 15 Euro numpty fine, so if I forget my monthly travel pass and get caught, they'll issue me with a 60 Euro fine, reduced to 15 Euro numpty fine, if I subsequently show my travel pass when I pay the fine.

AndyRM

XOXO

They do. I got nailed in Berlin for not having a ticket on the U Bahn, I think the fine was about 20 Euro. It was my last day there at the time, I had no money as a skint student so I couldn't afford it. Somehow they've been gracious enough to allow me back into the country on several occasions.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Trains are great but navigating some of the stations was a mare lol . All seems very efficient as you would expect. Bikes on trains , so easy to get around.

JB052

Lot's to see and do, most of which has been mentioned, we walked out to Classic-Remise which was quite good.
https://remise.de/berlin

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Can’t wait to go back, friendly place . Even got chatting to a young couple at a restaurant. It was their first date ! He was German , she was Ukrainian. Interesting conversations but left them to get in with things.

Another thing we noticed , plastic recycling ! Great idea ! We appear to very slow here in getting that up and running!

Oh and the main thing running on the news is energy crisis ! Cost if fuel , gas etc . At least they have gas storage facilities unlike this shower of sh…. Ok NACA is that way :-)

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yes currywurst……. Like the wurst not sure on the ketchup and curry power :laugh: . I mean we brought the world deep fried bars bars….. :whistle: . To be fair it was ok and I was starving !

Top Bottom