Berlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I hired bikes when there four years ago. I don't think they have a "Boris bike" scheme, so we just hired from a local coffee shop (there were loads of them hiring bikes out). The infrastructure is very good and the car drivers are extremely careful. There's loads to see, my wife became obsessed with cycling under the Brandenburg Gate!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I am not really a city person, but, enjoyed visiting Berlin. Very interesting place. We were travelling in a Motorhome (we stayed in Spandua district). We traveled around on our bicycles mostly. We also visited Bruges and Budapest in same trip, it was our "three Bs trip).

I lived in Berlin for 2 years in the 1990s. LOVED the place. I'm not, in the main, a lover of big cities - and certainly not capital cities - but I have to make an exception for Berlin. I simply loved living there and liked almost everything about the place. I lived in Mitte, just off Unter den Linden near the television tower, on Rosa-Luxemburg Street. I would walk for hours and hours all around the city. Simply fascinating. Of course when I was there, there were still uncleared bomb sites near my flat, the building I lived in was one of the first residential blocks in the area to have been fully modernised (a block kitty-corner across, on t'other side of the Volksbuehne still had the ammoniacal smell of communal toilets wafting out of the entrances) and Potsdamer Platz was reckoned to be the biggest building site in Europe. Fascinating times!

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
German food is big. Make sure you try some schweinshax (pork knuckle) but just make sure there's two of you.

Yes, I tried that in Cologne a few years ago (with Sauerkraut) . I have a big appetite, but I struggled to finish it.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Trying to upload some pics but Hotel WiFi rubbish . Cracking city , last day as travelling back tomorrow. Travel is a an absolute breeze . Got lost in the Haptbahnhoff lol . It’s huge ! Plenty folk with plenty cash to burn . KaDaWe must be the German equivalent of Harrods!

Edit pics did upload !

Attachments

• 59699924-365F-4243-9C27-FF4DACB61AAC.jpeg
    59699924-365F-4243-9C27-FF4DACB61AAC.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 5
  • D97C57DE-11F3-4589-AB77-3504F3BC77EA.jpeg
    D97C57DE-11F3-4589-AB77-3504F3BC77EA.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DD645035-19D5-4484-AB95-8FDDD45DB2A3.jpeg
    DD645035-19D5-4484-AB95-8FDDD45DB2A3.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 5
  • AF393408-1BA6-4C51-B099-93EC9D31D3C5.jpeg
    AF393408-1BA6-4C51-B099-93EC9D31D3C5.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 4

AndyRM

XOXO
If you're still there... The Technikmuseum is cool, and if you fancy a banging club night out, K17 is awesome. Although I've just read that it's closed, so that's out. There's is/was a great bar called Access, just off Alexanderplatz. They don't seem to have a website so I'm not sure about that. Charlie's Beach, behind the Berlin Wall is a lot of fun. And the Tiergarten is worth a wander around.

It's been a while since I've been. Last time I went was with my bandmate, Andy, and our whole thing was to be as deliberately offensive as possible. He stuck to this more rigidly than I did, and so had a bunch of SS symbols and swastikas all over his jacket. Which he was wearing when we met to go to the airport.

"Dude, you really can't wear that."

"Why?"

"It's illegal. You'll be instantly arrested."

Trying to upload some pics but Hotel WiFi rubbish . Cracking city , last day as travelling back tomorrow. Travel is a an absolute breeze . Got lost in the Haptbahnhoff lol . It’s huge ! Plenty folk with plenty cash to burn . KaDaWe must be the German equivalent of Harrods!

Edit pics did upload !

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Have you got 9€ Ticket?

Top Bottom