Berlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Off to Berlin for 3 nights this weekend. Never been to Germany. Supposed to be a nice city. The other half is interested in the main shopping street ! Me , well I’m all over the beer and food ! :whistle:

On a serious side I do wish to see some of the touristy stuff and memorials , of decades passed :sad:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Berlin is fab! It also covers a huge area so it's worthwhile doing a bit of research so you know where you want to go and how to get there.

Have a great time ^_^

figbat

Slippery scientist
I went for the first time this year. I’ve been to Germany loads and lived there as a kid but never got to Berlin. I have to say I had a preconception of what I might be like and it was nothing like it. It was fantastic, really liked it. Easy to get around on the U-Bahn, loads of interesting buildings and cultural experiences - I especially like the warehouse markets that are around the place where you can pick up produce and have a meals or nice snack.

Julia9054

Guru
Just wondering if we are better buying a travel card ? In advance or wait till we get there ?

Germany are still doing the 9 euro card. For 9 euros you have unlimited local train bus and tram travel for a month. The underground is really easy to use in Berlin - not sure how much a weekend travel card will be but the 9 euro pass will probably be your best bet. You can buy them at machines in bus and train stations or there's an app and you can have it on your phone.
(My August one is still valid but I'm back in the UK now 😭)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Does it work on metro and too/from airport ? If it does I may have to cancel the travel ticket I just bought for both of us !!

It's a long time since I went to Berlin, and I was on an internship with an NGO so I spent most of it as a street worker with homeless people.

That was in 2001 and there ware still massive gaps where the death zone had been.

A personal favourite is the line of the wall in front of the Brandenburger Tor and the way most cars cross the line several times; it's an irrelevance in the city now, an interesting piece of history; as it should be.

Top Bottom