Admit your insight - things you knew all along that have now become public knowledge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I knew Philip Schofield was gay.

There's no pleasure taken in knowing I was right, because that's a tragic tale all round, really.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sunak is out of touch with industry. You can't just chop and change dates like that.
Factories take years to plan and set up. Supply chains are long and complicated.

The manufacturers have been working towards the original date and there's just no way of changing that now.

He will be gone next year anyway and taking his seven recycling bins along with him.

But the car industry is surely working towards the EU date of 2035 rather than little Britain date of 2030!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Re the road emissions thing, what I find hilarious about it all is that in 2017, the target was set at 2040, 23 years away and yet, they wheeled out all these so called car experts, who roundly and smugly told us that it would never happen

'Never in our lifetimes'

Was one I remember.

Well, a mere 6 years later, with the ongoing rise of electric vehicles, these idiots are already looking bloody stupid... And there is still 17 years to go to the original lengthened 2040 deadline too!

Lets get the tv footage out now and laugh at them all!! 😆😆😆

I remember even at the time thinking they were being so stupid about it as after all, 23 years is enough to be a generation!

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I remember California setting stringent emissions regulations and the howling from the car lobby that they were impossible to meet. I told my partner - if it's technically possible, the car companies will make cars to suit because there's a buck in it. And they did.

Jameshow

Veteran
Back in the 90s I entered a comp in a photography magazine. They wanted a few words to describe the Next Big Thing in cameras. This was around about the time of APS format film. I said it would all be digital.

I didn't win. Probably no bad thing as the prize was probably an APS camera.

I had a freind who worked for Kodak and in about 1995 raved about APS... then along came...

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Many years ago, I was listening to some music late at night, wearing headphones with a curly wire, and I remember thinking "if only there was something you could plug into the jack plug socket which would transmit the sound to a receiver in the headphones, so you didn't need the wire?"

This was in about 1983/4, and I was doing my A levels at the time, one of which was in Design (Technology). Part of that was a project to design and build something, so I outlined my idea to one of the teachers who were taking the subject, and I outlined my idea, and said you could maintain the stereo sound using a VHF frequency, etc etc etc...

I got laughed at. So, I moved onto something else.

A few years after that, the first cordless headphones came out. They mainly used infrared signals, but the highest end ones used... VHF.

To be honest, the electronics would have been well beyond me, and probably the school's budget. Ah, well.

Jameshow

Veteran
Many years ago, I was listening to some music late at night, wearing headphones with a curly wire, and I remember thinking "if only there was something you could plug into the jack plug socket which would transmit the sound to a receiver in the headphones, so you didn't need the wire?"

This was in about 1983/4, and I was doing my A levels at the time, one of which was in Design (Technology). Part of that was a project to design and build something, so I outlined my idea to one of the teachers who were taking the subject, and I outlined my idea, and said you could maintain the stereo sound using a VHF frequency, etc etc etc...

I got laughed at. So, I moved onto something else.

A few years after that, the first cordless headphones came out. They mainly used infrared signals, but the highest end ones used... VHF.

To be honest, the electronics would have been well beyond me, and probably the school's budget. Ah, well.

For my CDT project built a self righting pleasure cruiser based on RNLI lifeboat principles!
Just think I could have been the next sunseeker chief designer!
Teacher only gave me a C!!

Top Bottom