Admit your insight - things you knew all along that have now become public knowledge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I remember seeing that one too.
But it takes 2500 years to complete an orbit so even Accy will be dead by then.
In fact there’s a distinct possibility that no human will ever see it again.

Halle Bopp - That and the one that crashed into Jupiter, Shoemaker - Levi (or whatever it was) were the two I really remember from being a kid/teen.
I also remember the partial (where we were) solar ecplise and then the Transits of Venus a few years later.

That early? Wow, I was merely basing it on the demise of the Deltics, which were first withdrawn in 1980 (55020 'Nimbus') and had their final day on the 2nd of January 1982.

Was this tunnel Penmansheil, between Newcastle and Edinburgh?:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penmanshiel_Tunnel

I have a few photos of HSTs in Carlisle and along the Tyne valley.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Good luck, I’ll be 91.

I remember learning about Halley’s Comet in the early 80s when it last visited earth and I was at junior school.
Ever since I’ve been waiting for Halley’s Comet to return in 2061.
I’ll be 86 so it’s possible.

Then of course there'll be that other '66 'big event' in 2066, before the 1000th Battle of Hastings stuff , when we remember, even celebrate :rolleyes: England's 1966 World Cup win, 100th anniversary.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Yyyeesss, you can get struck by lightning just about anywhere, but I have never heard of a flood flowing up a hill! 😆

To be fair, there are things like landslides, etc, I know, but I'd rather take my chances with an elevated position, thanks.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That building houses on flood plains,,unless they are on stilts , was a bad idea.

In nearby Newport Pagnell some developers applied to build an apartment block on land by the river that regularly floods.

"You can't build there," cried the locals. "It floods all the time!"

The developer would have none of it, and convinced the council that the newly installed environment agency flood defences would stop the site ever flooding again.

So the council signed it off and granted the planning permission.

And the very next day after the permission had been granted the town awoke to find the site underwater again.

And still they built them, and despite the known flood problem eejuts bought them, and twice they have since flooded.

You really couldn't make it up how profit overrides blatant common sense in the UK.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In nearby Newport Pagnell some developers applied to build an apartment block on land by the river that regularly floods.

"You can't build there," cried the locals. "It floods all the time!"

The developer would have none of it, and convinced the council that the newly installed environment agency flood defences would stop the site ever flooding again.

So the council signed it off and granted the planning permission.

And the very next day after the permission had been granted the town awoke to find the site underwater again.

And still they built them, and despite the known flood problem eejuts bought them, and twice they have since flooded.

You really couldn't make it up how profit overrides blatant common sense in the UK.

And then everyone else's taxes are spent on flood defences. You could argue it's fair enough if those profiting from the build pay for the
flood defences but somehow I doubt it works like that

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'm not surprised - there was a drought in the summer of '76. It was one of the hottest on record at that time.

FX4t0DgWYAYqK8B?format=png&name=small.png

FX4t0cBWYAI4CrT?format=png&name=small.png

Compare and contrast.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As much as folk try to demean the wonderful summer of '76 it still holds the UK record for number of consecutive days at 30°C or above, and is likely itself an early harbinger of that which us thinking folk are worried about now.

Edit. It's just sunk in, that was almost half a century ago. Seems like only yesterday.

I always thought that the ban on selling new ice vehicles was a bit optimistic

Sunak is out of touch with industry. You can't just chop and change dates like that.
Factories take years to plan and set up. Supply chains are long and complicated.

The manufacturers have been working towards the original date and there's just no way of changing that now.

He will be gone next year anyway and taking his seven recycling bins along with him.

Top Bottom