Your user name?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Mine is, now, not very imaginative. The prefix "661-" which dates from other 'incarnations' elsewhere, refers to the D661 in France, which passes close by our house there.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mine comes (snik snik) from my natural tendency to see double-entendres in completely innocent remarks, and my inability not to point them out to people. A bit like Finbar, my avatar. On another (music) forum I have a completely different name, and it deffo affects the way I post! Interesting psychomologicimal study for someone there....;)

barq

'barq' short for Barquentine, a character in Gormenghast.

I lived in a shared house some years back where we had a computer network linked to other nearby terrace houses. Many of the computers had names from Gormenghast (Sepulchrave, Steerpike, Swelter, Groan...) and I got used to logging in on 'barquentine'.

I use barq in a lot of places as I like to have a fairly consistent online identity. I shortened it to 'barq' because the symmetry of the lowercase 'b' and 'q' is nice. Annoyingly there is an American root beer of the same name, but I managed to register barq.org. The other problem is that because it is pronounced similarly to 'bark' people assume I must really really like dogs. ;)

SamNichols

Rather dully mine is simply my own name. I did used to post on other fora as environment_boy though, as I was told to 'shut it Environment Boy' in a Union Council meeting at uni and found it fairly amusing (I was the environment officer at the time).

Melvil

Patrick Stevens said:
I thought that if I used my real name, it would curb my tendency to be mischievous and wind up the more excitable on the forum.

Ah, the best intentions...

Patrick Stevens said:
I thought that if I used my real name, it would curb my tendency to be mischievous and wind up the more excitable on the forum.

Ah. I chose an alias on the exact opposite basis, so that I could wind up the more excitable. Haven't had much success so far though.

As to what inspired it - it's because my folder wheels are twenty inches in diameter.

Many people think it's a physical boast, for some reason.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
All Thais have a given name which is rarely used and are given a nickname. These nicknames are sometimes based on physical attributes. My wife, Chollada, was nicknamed 'Goy' (little finger). When a westerner has been accepted into a Thai family they are also given a nickname. Goy and I were watching a TV programme on hippos and as I yawned so did a hippo on TV and the name has stuck! Everyone now calls me Hippo and my grandkids call me 'Grandad Hippo'.

Top Bottom