Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Today I rode 15 miles which is a huge achievement as I am only back a few months after serious illness, still having said serious illness and trying to manage cycling the best I can. I know 15 miles is nothing to most people on here but I am so pleased with myself :smile:

I had a nice 15 mile cycle up the canal paths. Gave the Giant a good run and came across this and had to take a picture :smile:

1266444_10153290797510725_540495382_o.jpg

trampyjoe

Went for an explore around the local area and reaffirmed that there are some stupidly long hills around here (new to the area). Once I'd got up the stupidly long steep hill I had a change of plan and headed out to the border and crossed into Wales ... then it started raining :sad: After a nice little jaunt along the Ceri ridgeway I found my way back onto tarmac and headed home, which was thankfully mostly all downhill!

http://app.strava.com/activities/85052263

mooseracer

Guru
30 mile ride after work, took 25seconds off my best time up a local hill and got KOM on a sprint towards the end of the ride. Enjoyable ride spoiled slightly by someone trying their very best to knock me off just a quarter of a mile from my door, despite lights and hi-viz top on :sad:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
First ride since Sunday due to neck & headache on Monday, lazyness on Tuesday and church girly craft night last night.
Hubs is at dialysis and downstairs was on full nark so I decided to get the hell out of Dodge and rode off to Little Melton on the back road, once there I rode down the hill to the pretty village of Bawburgh, up the hill the other side and on the back road (again) to Barford and then to Barnham Broom. I turned here and headed for home via Carlton Forehoe and it was just dark as I got in. I did ride past the back of our home and then round and down the main road to take the mileage over 20.
20.9 miles ave 13.4 and about 260 feet of climbing (I do live in Norfolk! Finding hills can be hard work where I am)
Had a good time. I now have soup on the go and am considering making some choc chip biccies.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bit of a mixed ride. Felt down and low before we started, then became quite anxious which turned into a full blown attack. Somehow managed to cycle through it and started to feel better once we'd stopped and got some coffee inside me and forced myself to have something to eat, despite feeling a bit sick from all the adrenalin.
Sorry to hear that cj! :sad:
Going to :ninja: the next person who tells me that exercise *will* make me feel better.
I would definitely substitute "sometimes" for "will".

I am still getting people saying that I should be trying harder to get fit again. Oh, and others helpfully suggesting that perhaps I am doing too much! :wacko:

I have gone out on rides a couple of times but turned round before the end of the street because I realised that it was all going pear-shaped. I never managed to get far from home before it did though, thank goodness.

Tyke

Today I rode 15 miles which is a huge achievement as I am only back a few months after serious illness, still having said serious illness and trying to manage cycling the best I can. I know 15 miles is nothing to most people on here but I am so pleased with myself :smile:

I had a nice 15 mile cycle up the canal paths. Gave the Giant a good run and came across this and had to take a picture :smile:

It`s not very securely locked just remove the wheel and you can carry it away. All you need to do then is find another wheel that size.

Nice pic and well done on the ride.

ColinJ

The sun was shining and a mate rang to see if I fancied going out, so it was time to do another hilly ride.

This time, it was straight up the Keighley Road for a 4.5 mile warm-up climb! A quick descent towards Oxenhope was followed by the tough little climb of Hill House Edge Lane. How steep? I'm not sure (17%?), but a good test for a steep ramp is when you are relieved to get to the 10% bit beyond it!

View up Hill House Edge Lane Oxenhope.jpg

View down Hill House Edge Lane Oxenhope.jpg

My pal had done this route before, I'm sure of it, but his old braincells were playing up and he couldn't remember it. How anybody could forget a climb like that, I don't know ...

We continued round what is a lovely lane, enjoying the unseasonal sunshine. The only problem was 3 or 4 speeding white vans coming the other way. Normally, that is a quiet road, but we soon found out why it has gained new 'rat run' status - the unmade section of road across Warley Moor, has been, er, made! I preferred it when it was gravel-strewn and potholed - at least it persuaded many people to drive the long way round.

I encountered fellow CycleChatter @goodspeed whizzing down the hill towards me. We stopped for a quick chat before I set off again in pursuit of my cycling partner.

We passed over Cold Edge which is presumably named as such because it is the highest point for miles around, at about 1,450 ft, and it gets damn cold up there at times! It was a breezy today, but the mild air temperatures took the chill off it.

We descended through Wainstalls village to Saltonstall Lane, where we took a left turn down Bank House Lane which plunges down into a valley and then immediately kicks back up towards Booth.

Saltonstall Lane Wainstalls.jpg

Jerusalem Lane Booth Hill Booth.jpg

We turned right up Jerusalem Lane. It is one of my favourite local roads, with great views down into the gorgeous Luddenden Dean. (There is a campsite at Jerusalem Lane which would be a fine place to stay if you fancy a camping holiday in this area. Lots of choice of great walks and bike rides, and a couple of pubs within walking distance of the site.)

My legs were starting to get tired, which was not surprising really given the severity of the climbing, and my current lack of fitness.

We finished our ride by climbing back up through Midgley, along Heights Road to Old Town, then did a rapid descent back into Hebden Bridge via Sandy Lane and Birchcliffe Road. I took @potsy down there after a pub lunch on a forum ride last year - he found it simply exhilarating! :thumbsup:

Ride stats: 17.5 miles, 2,400 ft of climbing.

This ride report © 2013 Routes for Hill Wimp to Avoid Productions.

ColinJ

Well done Lesley! :bravo:

I'm in a similar situation, and more than a year on I am not back to where I was. There are several others on CC who had a really crappy time last year but we are battling back to health and fitness.

Let's hope that we all get there in the end, eh! :thumbsup:

Alex H

Legendary Member

That is a definite candidate for http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-photo-challenge.9344/page-128 :thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
40 damp and then soggy miles with my cycling group to the Monks' Yard near Ilminster for a delicious bacon and egg sandwich. Bit of a mixed ride. Felt down and low before we started, then became quite anxious which turned into a full blown attack. Somehow managed to cycle through it and started to feel better once we'd stopped and got some coffee inside me and forced myself to have something to eat, despite feeling a bit sick from all the adrenalin. Got soaked on the ride home but it was so nice to have my head vaguely back in one piece that I really didn't mind. Chain dried and oiled, clothes hung up to drip and dry. Not sure if my shoes ever will...
Your shoes will dry.

I have anxiety attacks now and again, so know just how unfunny they are. Well done on getting on with the ride and for eating something.
My doc has given me some tablets to help with the anxiety attacks, not that I ever remember to put them in the car or anything. They have helped a bit on the odd occasion that I have used them.

ColinJ

Hmmm, not just Hill Wimp to avoid I think.
It looks gorgeous there but oh so hilly. How many people would fall over laughing if I rode there and got off and pushed from time to time I wonder.
I was having to get off and walk up the steeper hills in the months before I got ill! I did not have any problem with people making fun of me. Most people can see how hard it is and are actually amazed that cyclists can ride up those hills. I get the occasional motorist who smiles as they overtake, but they usually look pretty sympathetic. I have even had groups of ramblers stop and cheer me on, which is nice!

I have nice low gears on my bike, but by 2 years ago, I had got so fat that I was really struggling. My subsequent illness caused me to lose 2 stone and I have managed to shed another stone since then, and that has made a huge difference on the hills. I am not fit enough to get up them quickly, but I can grind my way up in a low gear.

Low gears and a good sense of balance are what you need, if superb fitness is not available ... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom