Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last night I opted to do the club TT on a the road bike after the 41mph gusts during the day. The wind wasn't really a problem though it was the 🌧️🌧️🌧️🌧️

Don’t look too close
:roll_eyes:
:joy:

The shoes weren't much better.

px6Loe9LQl2WbevSTybyBFY_X4qmCion0BXx_s3I-1536x2048.jpg

Today was a complete contrast when I popped out at lunch, little wind and lots of ☀️:

1723838848629.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another ride taking in the coast path. I wouldn’t usually do it in the morning… but it’s worth the risk of being shot by the farmer!

I joined the path where I left it on Wednesday night, then headed east to the tea house.

The best sighting was a peregrine cruising by, and a bloke from the village called Jim who has sadly had blood cancer. He’s on a trial and feeling lots better!

Around to Battisborough and in to Luson, then the wrong way UP the bridleway and home.

12 and three quarters of a mile.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12168993347

IMG_3766.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

The man who made this ride possible
IMG_3768.jpeg

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Actually got enough sleep yesterday and the weather was perfect for cycling, so it was off to Woodstock since trimming the brambles encountered last week seemed as good an excuse as any for an excursion.

Out fasted at about half two on the Fuji, hotter than expected but tolerable. As last time roads got more rural, smaller, quieter and correspondingly more pleasant as the ride progressed. I find it both amazing and reassuring that these little rural roads can remain so relatively deserted given the country's growing over-population and peoples' apparent eagerness to drive everywhere.

The peace of the cycle path felt like a hidden utopia; shaded by the high hedges and illuminated by the mottled summer sun through the trees. It felt like a privilage to escape to such a peaceful enviroment as I trimmed back the brambles and wild roses, the tranqulity interrupted only by the lazy cooing of pigeons on the cables above and the humming of the odd inquisitive hoverfly.

Comparing my moving time to total elapsed it seems that I spent about 1.5hrs cutting back the overgrowth, although it didn't really feel that long. I encounted few people - some dog walkers and a youngish couple on gravel bikes - her very smiley and engaging; him less-so... perhaps he was intimidated by the alpha-male energy radiating from my receding hairline, middle-aged paunch and practical bicycle.

As I crossed the road to reach the second part of the path, the peace and unity with the universe cultivated over the last few hours were shattered by the sound of scramblers. I entered the wooded area to find they were very close, with two number-plate-devoid bikes needlessly parked across the path requiring negotiation.

Peace and faith in humanity freshly destroyed I stopped a few yards up the track to trim some more, and before long I could hear one of the bikes approaching behind me. I remained in the middle of the path continuing to trim and ignoring the requests from the rider to let him past. Eventually the podgly little scrote squeezed past me before disappearing into the hedge and apparently smashing it back the way he'd come on the other side.

While not aggressive these kids' behaviour was extremely antisocial and of course illegal. There must have been 4-5 of them and the situation had the potential to be pretty intimidating, although I'd have felt even worse about this encounter had I not stood my ground. I think my somewhat terse questioning of the one that passed me's legitimacy of being there caused them to leave and shortly afterwards it all went quiet.

I continued along the path trimming and maybe 10 minutes later I could hear another bike approaching from behind, slowing as it reached me. I continued at a sedate pace until I felt the need to stop again to butcher more foliage; at which point a tiny kid on a tiny bike roared past on the narrow little track.

Enjoyment thoroughly ruined and mindset poisoned I continued to Woodstock with the promise of a bite to eat, however upon arrival I found it to be (unsuprisingly) rammed with toffs, tourists and other assorted tossers so did a solitary lap and began the journey home.

By mile 20ish my quads started to protest, however I left the emergency Trek bars unbothered and pressed on out of bloody mindedness; winding my way up the hills in the lower gears but never out of the versatile 36t middle ring.

I think I passed the gravel couple again, with a similar interaction to last time.

Once back in the village I liberated the rings from one of my panniers and did the awkward now-near-daily dangle at the community centre while a local cricket game played out against the sinking sun. While I hate many things about this place and those who reside in it, I tried to set that aside and just appreciate the situation at face value - a simple game being played in an old English village in the summer end's cool evening air, as has been done for hundreds of years - even if everything is different now and not for the better.

Upon finally getting home I lashed up a big chicken salad before heading out late for a mate's birthday - the alcohol-freeness of it all augmented nicely by the grounding and contentment of the post-exercise afterglow.

A bit over 31 miles, putting me on about 98 for the week... if I can get in a modest ride today that'll be a recent-times weekly record, although I'm not sure how likely this is..

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thick cloud and a strong westerly wind didn’t inspire me to head eastward to the Dales as I’d originally planned, instead I opted for a flattish ride through the drumlin field to Kendal. I broadly followed the course of the Lancaster Canal which carried coal north and limestone south until the M6 cut through it. Boats can travel up to Tewitfield and there is still water in it until Natland. At this point you get glimpses of the route by isolated bridges sprouting from fields and then a cycle route NC6 that takes you into Kendal. My quest for a good cycling cafe in Kendal continues, I found one in the now near derelict K shoes outlet which had goof cycle parking along the waterfront and excellent coffee, but while the cakes were nice I was more looking for savoury. After a tour of Kendal I made my way back through Oxenholme, The Lake District as the west coast mainline labels it, Farleton and Holme. 85 km with 930 m of climbing.

Pictures of the canal and Farleton Fell.

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

Cavalol

Legendary Member
10.95 miles on the trusty Trek mountain bike today. It's a favourite little route of mine, even going through town isn't so bad as you can usually beat the traffic without trying too hard.

HR2LTEVRYBV7VBUMR6TARGDDUPV6XAS6SSR4S5YRG7RU5Q====.png

Very happy Strava is working on my phone again, after months of it just showing straight lines and wrong/missing info. Got 3 PBs, which is great because (apart from one I must have been miles off)) I wasn't really trying, as this is a pleasure ride that's not really one to be rushed.

Half-way (ish) up Dukes Drive...

YR3Qv79TN_q-5LVw7r90xcgxBneZuL9T_4A38ti4-2048x1153.jpg

To the end, turning right towards Eccleston and over the bridge on the A483. Lots of traffic coming back towards Chester/M53, probably holiday makers retuning home...

SDWvDVBd6OvL2UnOoYmRcqzksHtbEpScZj-eZZ0M-2048x1153.jpg

Eccleston at the junction...

U0TC6KihhSx1-vr_uF7bwZeHgsn1jVxMuEhnB52Y-2048x1153.jpg

And some sort of fete at this especially picturesque church...

mmmzfot9gdMTHJYtyvnjttbsDWbgLcmMPy7PqIYg-2048x1153.jpg

Just down from there is the start of the path to the river and to (long defunct) Eccleston ferry...

zPx3HmKoXB2yB-hd78JgAq0RyEU5En7owrT2mp7Q-2048x1153.jpg

On the river path heading back to Chester...

wDWAZau5fLb7nXWdIfr7G6kI-rf1SG6WgUUiNnzc-2048x1153.jpg

Back under the same A483 bridge, couple of lads fishing on a small boat...

BGrh-3a2mMwd1MhVlwE8-F2lJ6u-j7eZ-Y2gVzaY-2048x1153.jpg

More along the river path heading towards The Meadows...

ciispp62XbBgakioJdVuxhGNULMQVfX_7exiXB2A-2048x1153.jpg

7Pf1Lq-ivh7l8-pGGtg8H5b0bxv-8Ar7EwJI4_30-2048x1153.jpg

p_SofbBlSn7_fh8eE6EiLBgE0KYmj_Cd4DgzwCOY-2048x1153.jpg

These boards are new (to me) something about new sewage pipes being laid....

rymOVx-fA9IT6_L8jyO8rp1NONkfc8gdZ1-8GA9M-2048x1153.jpg

On The Meadows near town...

iej2oNv8sahnLdFlEGgjHfU2eIY_UY0wvkEZOgtI-2048x1153.jpg

kh6iMEudLo5vM9YOgomQDLXSnaCC_QGzxKktYhVo-2048x1153.jpg

...and then a long stop by the river catching up with a couple of mates on motorbikes and scooters, before a slow ride home. It's a good workout along the river path, on the arms as much as the legs and the although I ride this ride a fair bit, you never get tired of the views and I'd recommend it if you want a nice, quiet ride out. Three or fours gates you have to lift your bike over, but well worth the effort.

wafter

Managed to get out on the Fuji again; partially to try and up my week's distance, partially because a job I'd hoped to finish today has apparently turned into the never ending story again and I needed escape.

Took it steady on a shortish local loop; started out pretty nice on some deserted country lanes but ended up on some more well-used roads on the way back, with the typical sprinkling of close-passing dickheads really piquing my anxiety. Took the rings again but couldn't face getting them out as I've pretty much rinsed myself this week.

Better out than not I guess but not a particularly enjoyable ride; although the 17-odd miles did push up the week's total to a best-this-year 116 miles.

bruce1530

Guru
Today, it was the "Round Strathaven 50".

It's one of my favourite organised rides - a 50 mile loop, starting and finishing in the town of Stra'ven in Lanarkshire. 50 miles, with about 1050m climbing.

A really friendly run, good community atmosphere, and not expensive - £23 - and for that you have two fantastic cake stops.

I was in the "Second wave" - According to entry central, there were 392 riders on the 9.30 start, 289 on the 10.30 start, and about 60 families registered for the 15 mile ride at 11.30.

This is the 4th time I've done this ride. Quite an emotional one for me - when I did it this time last year, I was on the waiting list for cancer surgery. I've come through that, with a good outcome, and doing this ride was one of my "recovery targets".

Weather forecast was 20% chance of rain, with strong breezes.

Drove through to Strathaven - about an hour away, and parked up at a supermarket. Minor panic when getting ready, as couldn't find my sunglasses. Fortunately I had a spare pair in the car. Headed along to the start at the school, registered with about 15 mins to spare. Weather is still dry.

Riders all called out to the road behind the school for a start at 10.30.

Gentle uphill, heading west out of the town. Breeze was in our faces.

After a couple of miles, the heavens opened - big raindrops, felt like hailstones, wind in my face - and I'm thinking "this is going to be a miserable ride". Rain only lasted for about 10 mins. Still heading uphill, into wind farm territory.

Road turned south, towards Loudon Hill - a landmark which has some significance from my childhood. Haven't been there for years - I see there's now a car park and viewpoint.

Roads were generally OK, but quite a few bits with bad surfaces, or potholes, or lots of gravel on the road.

Cross the (relatively) busy A75. All of the junction were well signposted, with lots of friendly marshalls at key junctions. Followed more single track farm roads heading East, until we dropped down to the village of Sandford at 20 miles.

A feast in the village hall - cakes, sandwiches, sausage rolls - and a huge queue at the gents toilet :smile:

Back on the road - uphill, still looping around quiet roads, knowing that the next Cake Stop was only 10 miles away.

10 challenging miles. Uphill for a bit, then into the town of Stonehouse. Cross another busy road, loop out of the town then back in, and back towards Larkhall. Steep descent out of Stonehouse, followed by an equally steep climb up, then back down again towards Larkhall. They'd warned about this in the ride notes - that last section is steep, lots of potholes and gravel on the road, and trees either side so dark and slippy. And at the bottom, it's an acute bend taking you straight into a ridiculously steep climb. Engage the granny gear and plod on.

Keep climbing, and eventually we end up at the village hall in Glassford, with an equally impressive selection of cakes, savouries.

Quick pit-stop, then back on the road. Still going uphill, very exposed. We're going West again, so into the wind. 20 miles to go.

About 8 miles from home, there's a "mini-pit-stop" for anyone that needs it - just water and Tunnock's Caramel Logs! And immediately afterwards, the last big hill up to the wind farm. Great descent afterwards, and turn west back into Strathaven, where we ended up back at the school. Where there's more cakes!

I was slow - about 20 mins slower than last year, and 35 mins slower than my best time - I'm blaming that on the wind, but I know it's lack of fitness after the op. Feeling really pleased that I got round OK.

It was an incredibly friendly ride - got chatting to lots of people on the way round, great people with incredible stories. And the funds raised were for some great local causes - the local round table were marshalling all the main junctions, and the scouts and guides manned the cake stops!

1724013066929.png

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another great afternoon yesterday with some former work colleagues. Out on our bikes but mostly in the beer gardens of local watering holes. The Red Lion in Arlingham, the Ship in Framilode and the Anchor at Epney.
258.Another Cyclocrawl.jpg

Put the world to rights and had a great laugh, as well as cyclocrawling about 23 miles. Had a chance meeting with the people who now live in a house that, as a 15 year old back in 1976, I had helped my dad and my brother to extend. Turns out the brickwork is rock solid, which was good to know, seeing as I hand mixed every bit of mortar that my brother and my dad used 48 years ago. My dad couldn't afford a motorised mixer, so I had to use a manually operated one. After that summer I went back to school with arms like a lobster and promptly qualified for a major schools athletics championship in Birmingham ... in the shot put. The new owners were nice people and have invited me to come round any time to see the house. I'll take them up on that some day soon.

Last edited:

wafter

No work today but I finally pulled my finger out and booked a massage, so went into the city for that instead.

Same format as the commute but with a lunchtime start - parking in Yarnton then along the tow path on the Brompton.. somewhat detached after another crap night's sleep.

Couldn't resist a bit of trimming but was mindful of the time so kept it short. Had a pretty decent session on the rings after taking yesterday off, then doubled back along the tow path to tickle the balls of the Summertown charity shops; scoring a nice Tiger of Sweden thin wool jumper for £7.50. It's a shade small but an incentive to lose some more weight..

Into town to find the butchers just closing up so no hot sausages or black pudding :sad:

After a wasted detour to the BHF shop it was off the Headington; avoiding getting squashed at the plain by a dickhead in a van drifing into the cycle lane as we both turned left. Passed him in traffic but he'd caught up by Morrell avenue; however I made sure he stayed behind me for a good chunk of it.

Just about made it to the massage on time, which was mostly very pleasant. Got grape oil in my eyes which made the ride afterwards even more disorientating on top of the effect of an hour's pommeling on my state of consciousness.

Back into town meandering round the Brookes campus and Marston rd; generally a miserable experince on account of how much of what I remember had been demolished, how little of the area I actually remember, and how it all seems like a lifetime ago :sad:

Managed to get an outdoor seat at the White Rabbit for dinner then aimed for home; checking out a track next to the railway Google Maps had suggested last night and I was totally unaware of... subsequently being disappointed to have my suspicions concerned that it was apparently an inaccessible service road..

Ended up riding across port meadow to Wolvercote, knackering some significant brambles and wild roses on a bit of track leading to the tow path that I don't usually use, then more on the bit that I do.

About 23 fairly sedate miles; fully expecting a fair amount of me to not work very well tomorrow..

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sunday: I got my brother out for another ride. Doug had a late night finish at work so by the time he was up and about it made more sense to have an early lunch before going, rather than riding to the cafe and finding it already full. We opted for a different one of our regular routes; to Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna then into town via Uffington and have a pub stop at a place we haven't visited in ages.

Setting off, the drivers on the A49 were quite pushy and the road to Condover was oddly busy and I'm not sure why. I persuaded Doug to stay with this road into the village and we were rewarded for this with a good tailwind along Lyons Lane. Doug really seemed to enjoy this and it encouraged him to push on through Berrington and Cross Houses to Atcham. We had a stop for photos on the old bridge (the Mytton & Mermaid was so busy they had to have a car park marshall out) then carried on with the wind still helping to Berwick Wharf and Upton Magna where the cafe seemed to be doing a decent trade.

Turning towards Uffington we found a strongish headwind (was expecting it to be a cross wind on this bit). There was another rider ahead and I needed to persuade Doug not to try too hard to catch up until we'd crested the climb at Downton. We did catch up and get past before reaching Uffington where we'd planned our pub stop at The Corbet Arms. It's a nice place and had one of my favourite beers on tap so I was happy.

We headed into town along the old canal path and Sydney Avenue. I suggested a change to head into the town centre up St Mary's Water Lane - this is quite steep and Doug did struggle a bit with it. A passer by gave him a push then told me I was mean for making him go that way.:shy:
We headed round the town, enjoying the weekend closure to motor vehicles on High Street and worked our way to Victoria Quay which was closed for a street party. That meant a bit of a detour through Frankwell. We paused at The Boathouse to see if they had room for us - it didn't look like it so we crossed Porthill Bridge and headed through the Quarry. It looked a bit more promising at The Coleham Tap (formerly The Crown) so we dropped in for a second pub stop - very decadent. I haven't been in here since it was refurbished and it looks nice with a selection of decent beers on.

It wasn't a quick finish to the ride but we didn't have too far to go. At The Corbet Arms Doug had been enthusiastic about getting a fast average speed - that wasn't going to happen this time due to the number of stops and the slow riding through town but it bodes well for getting him out again.:okay:

20.6 miles at 12.5 mph average. Strava says 703 feet of climbing.

20240818_125113.jpg

On the old bridge at Atcham. The Raleigh was so nice to use after being on the Hawk in the week.

20240818_132040.jpg

At the Corbet Arms.

20240818_140801.jpg

20240818_140832.jpg

A couple of shots at the weir.

20240818_141656.jpg

Enjoying a traffic free High Street.

20240818_142008.jpg

Busy at Victoria Quay.

20240818_144006.jpg

Second pub stop at The Coleham Tap.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday (Tuesday): I had a chance to get out, I wanted to get out, but my motivation was at a low ebb so it took ages to decide on a route. I settled on heading to Dudgeley, Wilderley, Picklescott and Pulverbatch and got the Hawk out as it's easiest and there was a chance of showers.

It was pleasantly warm out but the wind was stupidly blustery again - a good chunk of this summer has felt more like autumn in my neck of the woods. I started off towards Condover as usual and had a decent tailwind to start off with. That shouldn't have been as the forecast showed a west-southwesterly, but I'll take it. Traffic was okay on the main road then on the lanes there were a few cars and the odd tractor to pull in for. A decent number of cyclists about too which is good to see. A shower did blow through as I approached Hollyhurst but the rain wasn't too heavy and it didn't last more than a mile or so.

Starting the climbing through Walkmills and Smethcott it was into the wind so I was a little more plodding than usual but not too much. I heard a car coming up behind a bit quick for this narrow lane as I reached Smethcott and for once didn't feel frustrated when another car came the other way so we all had to come to a stop.:whistle: The climb to Picklescott was enjoyable and the view from the descent looked great with all the golden fields lit up by the sunshine. The stretch through Wilderley became a bit of a plod into the wind which seemed to have picked up further still.

Reaching Pulverbatch I thought I'd take the main road to Longden, which is a good long stretch of mostly downhill with the wind generally a cross-tailwind. It was helping properly when I turned to go through Exford's Green so I made some good progress to Hunger Hill. The wind seemed to be blowing straight along the A49 here so I was almost tempted to ride the main road - I was glad not to though when I could see vehicles queueing for some reason as I looked down from Lyth Hill.

26.9 miles at 12.1 mph average. 1757 feet of climbing. I really needed that ride but could have done without yet another windy day.

20240820_135205.jpg

Near Hollyhurst, the shower that has dampened everything is receding in the direction of Cardington.

20240820_142433.jpg

On the climb to Picklescott.

20240820_143222.jpg

20240820_143312.jpg

A couple of shots from Picklescott. The pub was tempting today but it doesn't open Monday or Tuesday.

20240820_143953.jpg

On the descent of Pease Lane. My photo doesn't do the view justice.

20240820_145524.jpg

At Longden Common.

20240820_151031.jpg
Harvested field at the foot of Lyth Hill.

20240820_151051.jpg

From the other side of the road, the view to The Lawley and Caer Caradoc.

20240820_151737.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the end. You can just about make out the slow moving traffic on the A49.

Top Bottom