Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
St Andrew, a Saxon/Norman church (from 1150) in Coln Rogers, nr Bibury. A great thing about stopping on a ride is sometimes speaking to locals. Gent in his 80s, interested in my bike, used to bike race in 50s/60s and knew Tommy Simpson - gave him a lift in his car.
Apparently a stained glass window detail featured in the 2020 Royal mail christmas stamps, and plaque in the church shows CR as one of the Thankful Villages - where all those who served in WW1 returned.

PXL_20240826_104717076.jpg

PXL_20240826_104523418.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

andyoxon

Legendary Member
St John Baptist, impressive Wool church, Cirencester...

and best sausage roll 'Gloucester Old Spot' I've had, from around the corner at Knead's bakery.

PXL_20240826_092656276.jpg

PXL_20240826_092434766.jpg

Last edited:
St Andrew, a Saxon/Norman church (from 1150) in Coln Rogers, nr Bibury. A great thing about stopping on a ride is sometimes speaking to locals. Gent in his 80s, interested in my bike, used to bike race in 50s/60s and knew Tommy Simpson - gave him a lift in his car.
Apparently a stained glass window detail featured in the 2020 Royal mail christmas stamps, and plaque in the church shows CR as one of the Thankful Villages - where all those who served in WW1 returned.

View attachment 742827

View attachment 742828

Which bits are saxon or norman? Porch? Rest is transitional or early english?

Alex321

Guru
Which bits are saxon or norman? Porch? Rest is transitional or early english?

Not according to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St_Andrew,_Coln_Rogers

Or historic England
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1340898?section=official-list-entry

The tower is later, apparently, but quite a lot of the rest is 11th Century, which is Late Saxon/Norman. Though it does look like bits have been added/modified at various times during its history.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Also...

It is rare to find a Saxon church with an unaltered layout, but that is what we have at Coln Rogers. The church of St Andrew dates to the mid 11th century and exhibits every element of traditional Saxon architecture; the ground plan is original, with long-and-short work construction binding the walls, narrow pilaster strips for decoration, with a narrow a Saxon window and chancel arch. The east end of the chancel was rebuilt in the late Middle Ages and the west tower added.
  • Saxon pilaster strip
  • Saxon long-and-short quoins
  • Norman font
  • Medieval stained glass
https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/glouces/churches/Coln-Rogers.htm

You can see the exterior vertical pilaster strip to the right of the window in pic below...

Tower & porch much later additions...

Yew tree to the left supposed to be as old as the church.

The church info sheet, says 'small round-headed Saxon window...hole being fashioned from a single block of stone'... which I think is this...

PXL_20240826_103538459.jpg

PXL_20240826_104729224(1).jpg

Last edited:
Also...

• Saxon pilaster strip
  • Saxon long-and-short quoins
  • Norman font
  • Medieval stained glass
https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/glouces/churches/Coln-Rogers.htm

You can see the exterior vertical pilaster strip to the right of the window in pic below...

Tower & porch much later additions...

Yew tree to the left supposed to be as old as the church.

The church info sheet, says 'small round-headed Saxon window...hole being fashioned from a single block of stone'... which I think is this...

View attachment 742949

View attachment 742941

Certainly heavily modified, this internal arch the oldest bit?
GetImage.jpeg

I'm fascinated by early christian/saxon churches, so rare to find a complete one.
Not too far from St Andrew, St Lawrence, Bradford on Avon which I visited earlier this year. Fabulous! Early 11th century, but many think it could be a couple of hundred years older.
20240307_100906.jpg

20240307_101109.jpg

20240307_101621.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
St Baudille-et-Pipet yesterday.

DSC02574.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another 19th century church, St Matthew’s Keasden near Clapham. Well it’s not really near anywhere, but is in the middle of nowhere, serving a dispersed population presumably living around nowhere. I’m not being disparaging , it’s a fantastic part of Yorkshire. Lovely cycling country and nice views cross to Ingleborough.

IMG_0713.jpeg

gtmet

Über Member
..... beside Saint John the Evangelist, Elkstone.

240818-8059  Elkstone St John the Evangelist-W tower-sovereign.JPG

The west tower and nave are generally C13 & C15 rebuilds, the chancel is Norman C12. Norman decoration always seem to me a vivid insight into a darker, half-pagan northern world .
Chancel:
240818-8043  Elkstone St John the Evangelist  chancel arch.JPG

240818-8047  Elkstone St John the Evangelist chancel vault & E window.JPG
S porch tympanum:
240818-8056  Elkstone St John the Evangelist south porch doorway.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom