Would you buy a carbon bike that had been clamped like this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I personally wouldn't buy a 2nd hand bike, carbon or otherwise.
Too many unknown things could have been done to it, stick to brand new or not at all :okay:

Totally agree, if your not competent with bicycle fetalnisumenus, if so, no problems buying second hand

Totally agree, if your not competent with bicycle fetalnisumenus, if so, no problems buying second hand
Um .... can anyone translate this for me?

(either me or @YahudaMoon are is having a Friday night. Possibly both of us. :smile: )

Drago

Legendary Member
I clamp my bikes (both alu) there. What am I doing wrong?
The tube at that point is the thinnest on the bike, as little as 0.5mm on some machines, the most fragile surface on the whole bike after the tyres. The advantage i guess with metal frames is that any damage will be apparent to the eye. Probably.

Even so, there's no shortage of used bikes for sale so one may as well buy one that's been in a stand properly.

Jaykun85

Too many unknown things could have been done to it, stick to brand new or not at all :okay:

Not too many people can afford a brand new bike :tongue:
I bought a 2nd hand Carbon bike cheap for what i got it for was very pleased with it. Did do my research and the guy i bought it of was a keen cyclist and loved his bikes. Maybe i was just lucky.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Buy off a trusted friend maybe?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
...CF frames are only to be lifted off the ground by 2 specially trained operatives wearing white coats, gloves and masks. Deviation from this will result in the frame shattering without warning........you have been warned :cry:

You forgot to mention the instant death for anyone not complying with this procedure.

Tojo

Über Member
Also you forgot to mention that CF frames CANNOT be taken out in the wet as it degrades there strength...........therefore they should NOT be clamped anywhere.....:rofl:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Then you go and buy it and sling it in the back of the car but that's ok.

It's carbon fibre. Now my cotton wool bike, I would treat differently.

The tube at that point is the thinnest on the bike, as little as 0.5mm on some machines, the most fragile surface on the whole bike after the tyres. The advantage i guess with metal frames is that any damage will be apparent to the eye. Probably.

Even so, there's no shortage of used bikes for sale so one may as well buy one that's been in a stand properly.
So where should a carbon bike be clamped?

Top Bottom