Winter riding gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
Talking of gloves,today I happened upon my long lost pair of Aldi gloves,b****y annoying if the truth be told.I was quite impressed with them and then they vanished.In the meantime Ive bought several pairs of gloves,Dhb Amberley(utter junk,fell apart),Pearl Winter,(only if your Winter is an AustralianWinter,more rubbish) so it goes on.I dont care about the label I want warm fingers,so, if you lose your gloves,look between the washing machine and the freezer occasionally,you never know whats lurking !

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yeah I agree with that on Aldi gloves, they're chilly weather rather than cold. They do nicely with a liner pair in them and are comfy & grippy enough. As with lots of Aldi kit, they're far better than the price tag.

I use sealskinz winter gloves for cold weather, though had to go through a couple of returns to get ones properly waterproof.

For the odd very cold day, the above with a liner glove, a bit bulky, or a pair of ski gloves.

Hyslop

Veteran
Those Aldi gloves are ok but at 2 degrees air temp my hands went numb.
Funnily enough,I had mine on this afternoon to see how they fared.Now,there was hardly a breath of wind,it was sunny and I wore silk inners,however the temperature must have been fairly low as I could feel and hear the rime under the tyre.I was fine,hands quite warm in fact but I can well believe what you say.On a different day,and without the inners I think Id have really felt the cold.Mark you,the Pearl gloves that I have purport to be a cold weather glove and they are very poor,certainly for the price.The palms are the best part of the glove,the softshell backs deflect hardly any wind the inner isnt very warm and a silk glove is hard to remove when taking the main glove off.Steer clear of them!May be the quality of the softshell,I also have a Pearl jacket and that was a major disappointment too.Youll gather that I wont be buying any more Pearl kit in the future!

rd83

To be honest I could probably do with a liner for real winter riding. I've got a Sportful pair too. They are only marginally warmer than Aldi's, my hands were cold but I could still feel them!

Hyslop

Veteran
To be honest I could probably do with a liner for real winter riding. I've got a Sportful pair too. They are only marginally warmer than Aldi's, my hands were cold but I could still feel them!
Have a look at Decathlon,the cycling specific silk inners have an elasticated cuff,hold their shape when washed,and are,by a considerable margin,cheaper than a good many others(Cotswolds offerings as aquick example).I find mine perfectly adequate.Paired with your main glove you may well find they are an effective and cheap solution.Hope you find a solution,nothing worse than cold hands(wet feet perhaps!)

annirak

Veteran
I got a pair of Endura Cordura golves last winter. They keep my hands warm and dry. My only complaint about them was that the cuff was a little too tight on the 2XL, so I popped a few threads in the cuff.

Try these
I have a pair and for warmth in colder conditions they are excellent. One thing I will say though is they get a bit sweaty and damp inside so when putting them back on after a coffee stop they can feel a bit uncomfortable but after the initial discomfort you'll not feel the cold. I am a sweaty b****r anyway mind!
They are for colder conditions though so if temps are up around the 10deg mark they'd be too warm for me.

jeffo50

Regular
I bought Crane winter gloves from ALDI for the mrs and me, £5 a pop. They are warm, waterproof, comfy and have a fantastic runny nose wiping material on the thumbs. :highfive:
I've just bought a pair of those from aldi, and have used the inner gloves from my ski gloves, to fit inside the Crane gloves.

It was minus 3 when I had those cranes on, and the wind was getting through to my fingers. Now, with those other thin gloves as a second layer, my fingers feel more snug and much warmer.

runner

Guru
If you suffer from bad circulation in you hands then it's impossible to find gloves that will keep the warmth in. I have arrived home before in such pain from the cold that my wife has had to put hot towels over my hands to get the heat/circulation going again.....like many here I have found the cheap gloves with a warm liner can be a help and for me what really helps is putting those cheap hand warmers from poundland into each glove part way through my commute when my hands are getting really cold. These are reusable and just needed put in boiling water for 10 mins ready for the next morning. I have heard a number of cyclists say that a good quality liner glove inside a claw type glove really works (adjacent fingers help keep the hand warm) I must try that sometime....but will prob stick with the handwarmers from aldi this winter....as it will soon be spring....hurrah!!

shadow master

I've yet to find a glove that keeps your hands properly warm in the first 25/30 mins of riding...once the central heating in your bodies turned on, 7 miles in my case! It doesn't take take much too keep you warm just a windstopper of some sort...may be the really thick oven glove type are better for shorter rides, but on the road bike I hate the lack of feel these give.....shimano ones are good and rav x winds are good

Custom24

Über Member
I just got some of these from Decathlon (Croydon) for £9.99. Seem warm and comfy, with decent padding (not worn cycling yet)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/720-winter-cycling-gloves-black-grey-id_8315319.html
I have been suffering from painfully cold hands recently and so I bought two pairs of these, along with the liners. They feel nicer, but are no warmer, than the Aldi winter gloves I was using before. I am actually wearing a liner, a fleece glove and the outer glove at the moment, and my hands are still painful after a couple of miles.

Next up is some hand warmers, I think.

Or maybe I should have invested in the Mavic infernos I was going to try. Does anyone think those would be that much better than the decathlons?

Top Bottom