wider tyres for a hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Can I ask why . I like to have an understanding of things

A wider tyre has a larger volume of air and can support your weight at a lower pressure. The lower pressure will mean it’s better able to deform when you encounter rough sections of road. This translates to less vibration, less likelihood of deflection, and a smoother more comfortable ride for you. In essence your tyres are providing suspension for you.

Wider tyres at the SAME pressure have lower rolling resistance, which is useful at low cruising speeds. Wider tyres can go faster over rough or bumpy roads.
Only in the last decade or so have companies such as Schwalbe been constructing wide tyres to be as fast as possible. Typically, wider hybrid tyres have been fairly low grade construction.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Yes, wider tyres are going to be more comfortable. I have 700 x 42 Schwalbe Mondial tyres on my older FX (7000?) which give good traction on bike paths, roll well and are very reliable. I sometimes swap over to Continental Contact Travel 42mm tyres during summer months, which are noticeably comfier and faster imo, not as grippy on cycle paths.

That is interesting my bike is a trek fx 7.3

It pre dates the availability of wider 700c tyres . Looking on the internet I could only find one fitted with 38mm tyres. Maybe I could go wider than that?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Only in the last decade or so have companies such as Schwalbe been constructing wide tyres to be as fast as possible. Typically, wider hybrid tyres have been fairly low grade construction.
Certainly the Schwalbe G1s @42c I now have on my gravel bike are lightweight and fast when at max pressure..

Top Bottom