wider tyres for a hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I have an older trek FX that I am using for my 4 mile commute, if I cahnge the current 700x32 tyres to 700x38 (I think 38 is the max the frame will take)
will I notice much difference or am I wasting my money

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unless you are doing some significant rough offroad riding I don't think that you should bother.

If you are finding the 32s uncomfortable, what pressures are you using front and back? What are the surfaces you ride over like? How much do you weigh?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's swings and roundabouts. You don't get something for nothing. What difference do you want to notice?
Better puncture protection? More comfort? More speed?
You can fit some Marathon pluses and probably never get another puncture but they're awful heavy and will feel very sluggish. Lighter tyres will feel faster but you won't be able to ditch the puncture kit.
This will give you some interesting reading:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Reactions: mjr

8mph

Veteran
I have an older trek FX that I am using for my 4 mile commute, if I cahnge the current 700x32 tyres to 700x38 (I think 38 is the max the frame will take)
will I notice much difference or am I wasting my money

Yes, wider tyres are going to be more comfortable. I have 700 x 42 Schwalbe Mondial tyres on my older FX (7000?) which give good traction on bike paths, roll well and are very reliable. I sometimes swap over to Continental Contact Travel 42mm tyres during summer months, which are noticeably comfier and faster imo, not as grippy on cycle paths.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
My route is all tarmac a mix of cycle path and road. The path is next to a river and is often coated in a thin layer of mud. The road surface is not the best with multiple manholes and pot holes.

I’m a heavy rider at 240 lbs . I was hoping to get a more comfortable ride . I know wider tyres will help but i am not sure if the difference will be worth the cost as there is still plenty of life left in my current tyres

If the tyres got worn or damaged I would just by wider tyres and not worry about it. But replacing good tyres might be a little wasteful

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Do you have rim or disc brakes?
Disc brakes

32 - 38 was a big difference for me, and a lot comfier, I was about 16 stone (224lb) at the time. When I gained weight later I went to 42 and eventually 45 which I loved. I'm currently back to my old weight and am on 42s though I miss my 45s!

I've used these tyres for several years, I notice they don't do a 38 but the 35 might still be ok, and often a little extra space is good: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Continenta...=colour:Black,option:700%20x%2035c&sku=379634

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll get better comfort from the 38s especially if you run them on reduced pressures. You're the one who will have to decide if it's worth the change financially.

Top Bottom