Whyte r7 hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jms123

Looking for a bit of advice about the r7 hybrids.

I am looking for a good hybrid for commuting to work that I can also use for weekend cycles with a mix of road, canal tow paths, bridleways and some woods (not roots or rocks so not mtb).

I want to avoid the sit up and beg type riding position and have narrowed it down to a Pinnacle lithium, Boardman hybrid and a Whyte cambridge.

Of the three I really like the r7 but am worried it is the more road only out of the three. The 2017 frame update is the same as the 2018 one and comes with 32c tyres

Does anyone know what the max tyre size these frames will take and if anyone has experience with these bikes any advice, comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should get out and throw a leg over them if you can. All have quite good write ups.
I shouldn’t get too hung up over tyre sizes. I find anything around 35c is good for most terrain, pressures will make more of a difference. Most of them look like they’ll accept to around 40c. I swapped out my 45c tyres recently for 37c semi knobblies and they roll much better but still handle the rough stuff at lower pressures.
You need to look at the frame geometry and compare. Do you want something that feels sharp and responsive or would you like a more stable predictable ride?
I’d look for a steel frame but that might be difficult at that price point, it’s just a personal preference. Boardman are great value and their frames are well finished with smooth welds, but that may not bother you. Evans own brand Pinnacle offer good value too.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had two (a Cambridge and a Portobello). Lovely bikes. I had 28mm tyres as I wanted road going speed

I doubt you'd get much more than a 32mm on

Go to a retailer, discuss and try

OP
OP
J

jms123

Many thanks for the responses.

I am going to try the Pinnacle and Whyte, see which one feels better and I'll let you know how I get on.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I have the 2014 Whyte Montpellier and love it. It is on 28mm tyres and more road orientated. I like the R7 frame and find it a comfortable bike. 2014 was the last year they had a double chainset, they now have a single chainring 1 x 11 set up and I'm not sure I'd buy it with this considering the riding I use it for. Go for test rides and then make your choice.

OP
OP
J

jms123

I have the 2014 Whyte Montpellier and love it. It is on 28mm tyres and more road orientated. I like the R7 frame and find it a comfortable bike. 2014 was the last year they had a double chainset, they now have a single chainring 1 x 11 set up and I'm not sure I'd buy it with this considering the riding I use it for. Go for test rides and then make your choice.

To be honest the single chainring is one of the thing that appeals as well as it having a more mtb frame geometry as I come from that background. I am really looking for a sort of flat barred cx bike in effect as I don't get on with drops and don't want or need front suspension.

The Whyte looks to be perfect other than tyre sizing which may be a bit limiting and I can't a definitive answer out of Whyte as to the max tyres size it can run because I'd be happy with clip on guards if necessary.

Like you and the others have said though I need to do a test ride and luckily both Evans (Pinnacle) and Cyclesurgery(Whyte) offer test rides.

I guess at the moment my head is saying Lithium is more suited to what I want but my heart is saying the Whyte :smile:

OP
OP
J

jms123

Just as an update to this in case it helps anyone else, I got a reply from Whyte about the max tyre size for the 2017 frame onwards.

With the 46 mudguard you can fit a 35c tyre and without mudguards you can fit a 37c tyre although obviously tyre tread will come into it and I suspect that is for slick tread pattern.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could also look at the Boardman hybrids, they are fairly rugged. If you have a branch close, Cycle Republic do testrides (whereas Halfords don't)

London Road from Planet X another possibility, although hard to check out unless you're in Sheffield

OP
OP
J

jms123

This may interest you:

View: https://youtu.be/Cu39qs3zVJw

Try comparing the frame geometry of the two. A shorter wheelbase with sharper head angles will feel more responsive and lively, slacker head angles and a longer wheelbase will give it more of an MTB feel, stable and relaxed.

I like the mtb feel to be honest which is why I think the Whyte may be the best fit for what I want although I definitely want a more stretched position than an upright comfort hybrid.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jms123

You could also look at the Boardman hybrids, they are fairly rugged. If you have a branch close, Cycle Republic do testrides (whereas Halfords don't)

London Road from Planet X another possibility, although hard to check out unless you're in Sheffield

Many thanks for Cycle Republic idea. I had no idea they also sold Boardmans and they have a Manchester branch so I can do a test ride.

Much appreciated.

Out of interest what was your overall impression of your Whyte bikes in terms of ruggedness (appreciate your did not really take them off road as such)

Last edited:
Top Bottom