Why is it that the racer boy types hate recumbents and trikes so much

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe the OP is confusing being looked down on by people on sporting bikes, well they do if you think about it, with hatred.

grldtnr

Über Member
Now that's a proper trike - ! ^_^
When my balance starts going south, that'll be my next purchase - ! :laugh:

For a proper 'upwrong' barrow. It has to be a Longstaffe or Higgins, sadly not made anymore.
But be very aware ,they are notoriously difficult to ride, far easier to ride a low down, laid back recumbent, ....from a layabout tricyclist...

I'm a racer boy through and through, albeit in retirement (with a comeback imminent, any decade now) but I still love me a good 'bent downhill race. I attend the 'Bent Downhill World Championship at Fort William each time it comes there.

Cross Country Trike Racing is also on the rise, will be an Olympic sport soon, I bet.

I always say, it's not about the bike.
Is this a wind-up?? So much weird schoot on wheels these days, you never know ...

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Now that's a proper trike - ! ^_^
When my balance starts going south, that'll be my next purchase - ! :laugh:

They are actually VERY difficult to balance - or more correctly, they are incredibly easy to unbalance. (You will be better off on a recumbent)

grldtnr

Über Member
I wholly concur !
Cyclist subconsciously automatically balance 2 wheels, the 'gyro' effect keeps it balanced and moving forward.
The 3 rd wheel upsets this autonomic response, with the centre of gravity up high perched on the saddle.
Bring that down and sit within the footprint of a recumbent ,then you have a far more stable machine.
But even then ,you can upset a recumbent trike, I 've done that twice in 30+ yrs, once at high speed, and once amusingly at low speed, on a and new trike.

Even recumbent trikes ,you my never master the art of riding 3 wheels, always the trike will try and throw you off.

I wholly concur !
Cyclist subconsciously automatically balance 2 wheels, the 'gyro' effect keeps it balanced and moving forward.
The 3 rd wheel upsets this autonomic response, with the centre of gravity up high perched on the saddle.
Bring that down and sit within the footprint of a recumbent ,then you have a far more stable machine.
But even then ,you can upset a recumbent trike, I 've done that twice in 30+ yrs, once at high speed, and once amusingly at low speed, on a and new trike.

Even recumbent trikes ,you my never master the art of riding 3 wheels, always the trike will try and throw you off.

You don't balance because of the gyro effect. It is a completely different mechanism that keeps you balanced.

I wholly concur !
well .. sort of ... It takes hours of practice before it becomes subconscious!

I've no doubt that peeps can learn to ride another way, but I do fear that if I take it up when I'm 60+ it will be quite a slow process

(15 years ago I tried ride a trike round a car park. I stayed upright, but rode into a bush.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom